RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: What would YOU do???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What would YOU do???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had booked an inside passage cruise on an adventure cruise line based in Canada a few months ago and made the required deposit. We paid in US dollars, which were converted to Canadian dollars at the going exchange rate. We cancelled the cruise and received a refund of the deposit minus the required administration fee. Here's the "what do I do" part. The company refunded the requisite amount at the current exchange rate. The Canadian dollar is currently stronger against the US dollar than it was when we made the deposit. The result? We received back $150 more than our original deposit due to the exchange rate. Our plan is to contact them and let them know and see how they respond. Would you take the money and run? They are a family-operated business.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple, I would treat them as I would want to treated.[emoticon]. Meaning: I would call them, explain, and ask how they wanted to handle it.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd do what you're planning on doing. To go to the next step, I'd make sure all the boxes were checked (admin fee paid, duly receipted, etc), and then plan on giving them the $150 unless it would create unnecessary accounting problems for them....and being a family outfit, I'm sure you'll learn if there would be problems when they respond to the initial information.

From your prior description of the potential cruise, while it's always a business transaction, it sounds like a great cruise and I'd want that business to have a favorable recollection of the past interaction if I was to book again in the future.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, the right thing to do would be to let them know. Along the same lines though, they gave you back the same amount you paid them. IE, you gave them $500 Canadian a few months ago and they gave you back $500 Canadian (less the previously agreed fee presumably also Canadian) you really have no other obligation. My answer would still be the same if the values were reversed and the Canadian Dollar was lower vs the US Dollar. I would not expect them to make up the difference in value to you either. They have no control over the money values at a given time just as you don't either.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I emailed them and just as suspected they paid back in Canadian dollars and when converted it's more than we paid. Company said that's the way it goes sometimes, their books are balanced and nothing more needs to be done.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator wrote:

Simple, I would treat them as I would want to treated.[emoticon]. Meaning: I would call them, explain, and ask how they wanted to handle it.

this! ^^^^^

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, I'd simply act the way I would want to be treated. And that would amount to letting them know and acting accordingly.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think I would have done anything. You made your reservation in Canadian dollars (albeit ones converted from US dollars), and got your refund in Canadian dollars (which were converted back into US dollars). The exchange rate variations have essentially nothing to do with the actual transaction with the cruise line.

Similarly, if the exchange rate had changed not in my favor, I'd maybe grumble but would neither blame nor ask for special dispensation from the cruise line. That's just one of the nuances of international transactions.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "I would treat them as I would want to treated" warm and fuzzies attitude only goes so far in the business world.

If the opposite occurred (were you were shorted-changed) ...do you think they would send more to you out of their account to cover your out-of-pocket difference?

... yea, I didn't think so either.

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In all due respect.... I'll stand by the principle "I would treat them as I would want to treated" as it is the only one I can morally and ethically live with. If others choose to live their life differently..ie. Business World that is their problem not mine. It is hardly a 'warm/fuzzie' attitude; it is an attitude of what is right. Those thinking otherwise are part of a major problem in our society as it is.

* This post was edited 07/13/21 07:29pm by Moderator *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What would YOU do???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.