|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

homerbw wrote:

Sagebrush like you I try to be proactive when it comes to roadside repairs but this time it was on my Hybrid Prius which had me a little nervous about trying to jump start it. On newer vehicles I have heard sensors can be damaged with jump starts. On the Prius you have to remove the entire trunk area and everything in it to reach the battery and I am handicapped. Making matters worse the hatchback remains locked without 12 volts preventing easy access to the trunk area.
Wow, I had no idea a Prius is like that. How did you manage to accomplish the feat?

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always carry 25' 1 ga jumper cables. I have not had to have someone jump my vehicles in about 20 years but I use them at least 4 or 5 times a year helping other people. We were at the Grand Canyon and stopped to help someone near Grand Canyon Village. My daughter hooked up the cables while I talked to the other couple. It turns out that they live about 20 miles from us. Yes, all 4 of my daughters know how to properly use jumper cables and carry a set just like mine that I bought them for Christmas the year they turn 16. Everyone laughs about it being a right of passage in the family.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use small handheld Type S battery power brick/bank to jump start my dodge ram 1500 V8 trucks several times now. Neat little blue colored dude will fit in the glove compartment and has saved me from having to call for road service or beg for a jump start with cables from another driver. I have no idea if this would work on EV vehicles. I have a slightly larger power bank from another manufacturer for my second truck and it has worked great. Both are quick and easy with no long cables and mess free.

I also carry regular jumper cables for backup

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 02:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest adding emergency roadside coverage to your vehicle insurance. I have made use of it twice. I paid for the service then got reimbursed from my insurance company. The coverage is cheap.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Good Sam Care Team

Everywhere

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I am closing this topic due to lack of activity. Thank you for your time and participating. Please feel free to open a new thread on this topic in the future if you wish.

Thank you,
Ella
Good Sam Care Team

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.