|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Towing Capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

The rear axle is rated at 17,500 with liquid springs, 15,500 without. I think what I need to find out is what the curb weight is so I know what the difference is between that and GVWR..

I know your right but the MH needs to be loaded up ready to travel with full fuel and if you dry camp, full water. This difference is the key number on how much you can tow and as long as it’s 4600 lbs or hopefully more (up to 5000), you are good to go. The liquid spring version should have a GVW 2000 lbs greater than the regular version.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curb weight is the weight of the unit empty plus fluids. Fuel, Water, LP but not passengers and luggage. I am guessing the curb weight will come in around 22-23,000 lbs. which will leave me 2000 lbs. of people and "stuff". I have emailed the Tiffin rep to get that number. If I can keep the unit weight at 25,000 with 5000 trailer/vehicle weight that will keep me at the max. 30,000 GCWR. Actually shooting to stay under that.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got off the phone with the Tiffin rep. He said the 36LA's with liquid springs, fuel and LP come in about 22,000 lbs. curb weight. He said they will weigh our unit before shipping to the dealer to confirm. If that's the case, then I will have roughly 8000 lbs. to play with. Still limited to 5000 lbs. on the trailer weight though.

Y'all need to just leave the Jeep comments alone. They aren't the best riding vehicle, they are more expensive and I don't off road. The Bronco Sport fits our needs. We were considering a Chevy Trailblazer because it could be flat towed but after seeing both, we liked the Bronco Sport more. Besides, I don't want all that flat tow junk on my vehicle and have to put a brake unit in it and set it up every time we go somewhere. I just want to hook up the trailer, plug it in and go.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

Just got off the phone with the Tiffin rep. He said the 36LA's with liquid springs, fuel and LP come in about 22,000 lbs. curb weight. He said they will weigh our unit before shipping to the dealer to confirm. If that's the case, then I will have roughly 8000 lbs. to play with. Still limited to 5000 lbs. on the trailer weight though.

Y'all need to just leave the Jeep comments alone. They aren't the best riding vehicle, they are more expensive and I don't off road. The Bronco Sport fits our needs. We were considering a Chevy Trailblazer because it could be flat towed but after seeing both, we liked the Bronco Sport more. Besides, I don't want all that flat tow junk on my vehicle and have to put a brake unit in it and set it up every time we go somewhere. I just want to hook up the trailer, plug it in and go.

Good to hear on the weight. You can upgrade the hitch for a higher rating.

As far as the Jeeps go. I’ll leave it at this. There is more than just the Wrangler. The Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are flat towable with the proper T-case. And ride very nice.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well we solved our issue and likely saved a few dollars as well. We had put a deposit on a Bronco Sport and it was supposed to arrive on 7/7. Apparently not a lucky number as that was the day hurricane Elsa rolled through in Jacksonville. A couple days later the dealer told us our Bronco was damaged at the train yard and could not be sold along with another they were expecting. Deposit was refunded and we were back to square one.

I spent days searching from SC to FL for another Bronco Sport Big Bend with the options and color we wanted. Apparently the are made of unobtainium. So, we called the local Ford dealer and factory ordered one with an ETA of mid-October. Well, I will be officially retired as of October 1 and have little confidence it will arrive in time.

Lo and behold a few days later our copy of RV magazine arrived with a special feature on dinghy towing. They had a list of towable vehicles and one of those was something we had considered two years ago. A few hours of searching and …. BINGO!!

Last night we drove to Orlando and picked up our Summit White 2021 Chevy Colorado LT with Crew Cab, 4 Wheel Drive and Red Line package. After we pop on a soft tonneau cover we will be good to go. Although this vehicle can be dinghy towed I plan to dolly tow it. Less expensive, less hassle and the dolly has a foldable hitch for easy storage. I’m happy, momma’s happy.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

Well we solved our issue and likely saved a few dollars as well. We had put a deposit on a Bronco Sport and it was supposed to arrive on 7/7. Apparently not a lucky number as that was the day hurricane Elsa rolled through in Jacksonville. A couple days later the dealer told us our Bronco was damaged at the train yard and could not be sold along with another they were expecting. Deposit was refunded and we were back to square one.

I spent days searching from SC to FL for another Bronco Sport Big Bend with the options and color we wanted. Apparently the are made of unobtainium. So, we called the local Ford dealer and factory ordered one with an ETA of mid-October. Well, I will be officially retired as of October 1 and have little confidence it will arrive in time.

Lo and behold a few days later our copy of RV magazine arrived with a special feature on dinghy towing. They had a list of towable vehicles and one of those was something we had considered two years ago. A few hours of searching and …. BINGO!!

Last night we drove to Orlando and picked up our Summit White 2021 Chevy Colorado LT with Crew Cab, 4 Wheel Drive and Red Line package. After we pop on a soft tonneau cover we will be good to go. Although this vehicle can be dinghy towed I plan to dolly tow it. Less expensive, less hassle and the dolly has a foldable hitch for easy storage. I’m happy, momma’s happy.

FYI, you can’t dolly tow a 4X4 vehicle even with a neutral T-case. Both axles need to be either on the ground or on a trailer. You could dolly tow it if you remove the rear driveshaft!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad that worked out for you. However, a flat tow set up isn't really more expensive than a tow dolly and it's exponentially easier to hook/unhook for towing. I've done both. I'll never use a dolly again.

And as Dodge guy pointed out, it may not be able to be towed with a dolly but 4 down only.

* This post was edited 07/21/21 07:55am by way2roll *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

double post

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On page 302 of the manual it says a 4x4 can be towed on a dolly by putting the transfer in N. AWD vehicles can’t be towed on a dolly.

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you found an answer. I also must say, that I think you'll be happier in the long run if you set up your Colorado pickup to flat tow. Flat towing is sooooo much easier to hook up and unhook.

I also really like the new Broncos. Its a crying shame that Ford didn't make them flat towable, as that pretty well scratches them off our list.

If Ford ever makes the Bronco flat towable in the future, I'll be one of the first in line to get one.

* This post was edited 07/21/21 09:41am by willald *

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Towing Capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.