|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Towing Capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could be wrong but I think the full size Bronco’s can be flat towed. The smaller Bronco Sport can not.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding flat tow vs. dolly tow, I spoke with one of the service guys awhile back at LaMesa where we are buying our Tiffin and he told me that it would cost around $6k for them to set up a vehicle for flat tow. The parts alone I priced out with Blue Ox and a Stealth brake system and that alone is $2900. The dolly I am looking at is $2250 with brakes and $450 shipping.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

Regarding flat tow vs. dolly tow, I spoke with one of the service guys awhile back at LaMesa where we are buying our Tiffin and he told me that it would cost around $6k for them to set up a vehicle for flat tow. The parts alone I priced out with Blue Ox and a Stealth brake system and that alone is $2900. The dolly I am looking at is $2250 with brakes and $450 shipping.

I set up our CRV to flat tow for about $1700. Ready brute elite tow bars with integrated brakes and blue ox base plates. Of course a shop will cost you more, but a quote of $6k was someone not wanting to do the work. And an RV shop is likely the most expensive place to have it installed. A local auto shop would do it for much less, or do it yourself for free. Taking my time, it was a 6 hour job with basic tools and that was completely removing the front of the car and taking my time. And where are you buying a dolly for $2250 ($2700 total) ? You can get a master tow with built in brakes new for $1600. Cheaper if you look on Craglist or Ebay.

Since we moved to a FW I still have my ready brute elite bars with built in surge brakes that I don't need. I could let them go for much less than you'd pay new. PM me if interested.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your kind offer. I am unable to install this myself as I haven't the place or the tools. I am uncomfortable with buying used. We will have a new RV, new truck and So I want to start with everything new.

I was looking at a dolly that is made by Tow Smart. I was first interested in their stand up dolly but now like the one with the folding tongue. I called Master Tow and they have a dolly with electric brakes for $1900 and a dealer near me so thank you for the heads up on that.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

Because my wife doesn’t like the Jeep. Happy wife, happy life.

Really? None of them? Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, others (I hate the Wrangler as well).
Of course, Jeep is not the only other option. There are a plethora of cars/SUV's that are towable 4 wheels down.
Sorry, hope this does not distract from the OP's original topic.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

Yeah, that's way high. It cost me $1100 installed for the system on my car (Acadia), $1200 for tow bar, and less than $1000 for the brake buddy. So $6,000 is about twice what it should cost, and as others have said, WAY easier to flat tow than use a dolly or trailer.

Al

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not correct Dodge Guy. I checked the owners manual before making the purchase. The Colorado 4x4 can be towed 4 down or dolly towed.

That said, thanks to another poster, I found a dealer locally that has a Master Tow dolly with electric brakes for $1520 plus tax. Still not convinced to flat tow and spend the extra $$ but appreciate everyone’s input. I guess I will learn soon enough if my decision was the right one and I can always sell the dolly and go 4 down at any time if it turns out to be the wrong decision.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

Not correct Dodge Guy. I checked the owners manual before making the purchase. The Colorado 4x4 can be towed 4 down or dolly towed.

That said, thanks to another poster, I found a dealer locally that has a Master Tow dolly with electric brakes for $1520 plus tax. Still not convinced to flat tow and spend the extra $$ but appreciate everyone’s input. I guess I will learn soon enough if my decision was the right one and I can always sell the dolly and go 4 down at any time if it turns out to be the wrong decision.

Nothing wrong with that approach. I started with a dolly and went to flat tow. People snatch up dolly's fast so it's likely if you want to sell it in the future you can probably get near what you paid.

Sounds like you are putting together a nice set up.

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

...I guess I will learn soon enough if my decision was the right one and I can always sell the dolly and go 4 down at any time if it turns out to be the wrong decision.

That is sort of what I did. Did the tow dolly thing for a while when first got the Motorhome back in 2012. Only took one season (about a year) to learn it wasn't for me. Sold the dolly, traded the vehicle in for one that was flat towable, and went to flat towing.

That was about 8 years ago; have flat towed ever since.

At least in your case, if you do decide to go to flat towing, you won't have to trade vehicles. You'll already have the right vehicle for it. [emoticon]

If/when you do decide to go to flat towing, take a long, hard look at the Readybrake Elite tow bar. Can be had for around $1500, has built in braking, no need to spend another $1k on a totally separate braking system that you have to keep putting in and taking out. With a Readybrake setup, you can easily set things up completely for flat towing for half of that $6k that guy quoted you. Even with someone else doing the installation work.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Alex and Tee wrote:

...I guess I will learn soon enough if my decision was the right one and I can always sell the dolly and go 4 down at any time if it turns out to be the wrong decision.

That is sort of what I did. Did the tow dolly thing for a while when first got the Motorhome back in 2012. Only took one season (about a year) to learn it wasn't for me. Sold the dolly, traded the vehicle in for one that was flat towable, and went to flat towing.

That was about 8 years ago; have flat towed ever since.

At least in your case, if you do decide to go to flat towing, you won't have to trade vehicles. You'll already have the right vehicle for it. [emoticon]

If/when you do decide to go to flat towing, take a long, hard look at the Readybrake Elite tow bar. Can be had for around $1500, has built in braking, no need to spend another $1k on a totally separate braking system that you have to keep putting in and taking out. With a Readybrake setup, you can easily set things up completely for flat towing for half of that $6k that guy quoted you. Even with someone else doing the installation work.

So let me ask a question about the Readybrake. One of the reasons for a brake buddy (or whatever brand) is if the Toad becomes detached from the MH the brake buddy will apply the brakes to stop it (in theory). How does that part of the equation work with the Readybrake?

Al

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Towing Capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.