RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: How many strokes??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How many strokes??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Some have reported having grease on the brakes without ever having used the zerks. Apparently the assembler didn’t follow instructions either.

Back in 2016 I had my brand new fifth wheel at a local shop to have the drums replaced with disc brakes.... The trailer was a few months old at best, 3 of the 4 drums had grease on them from assembly.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

My Mobile Suites came with the Dexter system. Every or every other year I raised the RV and grabbed the outer edge of each tire and did the push pull to feel for bearing pay. Never needed adjustment so I did the grease pump method. Never a bit of grease escaped. Bearings and races looked new when I changed to oil bath system. I use AMZ/OIL grease.

All sounds just dandy , but noticed no one wanted to answer any of my questions. So I am assuming you keep pumping grease until something goes wrong .

I, basically, did. I said that I pumped until I could hear air crackling through the seal, then stopped. We did that for decades on the farm and rarely had any issues. Only had one cultivator that had small gauge wheels that just had crappy hubs and the seals didn't fit tight from new. We ended up having to silicone them all in when we changed them, not for sealing around the outside, but as glue to try and keep them in place.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

My Mobile Suites came with the Dexter system. Every or every other year I raised the RV and grabbed the outer edge of each tire and did the push pull to feel for bearing pay. Never needed adjustment so I did the grease pump method. Never a bit of grease escaped. Bearings and races looked new when I changed to oil bath system. I use AMZ/OIL grease.

All sounds just dandy , but noticed no one wanted to answer any of my questions. So I am assuming you keep pumping grease until something goes wrong .

As noted, read the Dexter manual or watch the video and tells you how much to pump. No set number of strokes,

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP and as noted above and in my prior answer there is no set number of strokes. Follow the instructions

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...and there's about 500 YouTube videos on the topic. No need to make it more complicated than it is.

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased my 2nd fifth wheel slightly used. It was two years old and had very little road miles. The previous owner had only towed it short distances and apparently used a grease gun each time he was preparing to go out. He had totally soaked the brakes with grease and there is no way to fix this other than replacing the brake shoes.

Do not use any method of greasing bearings other than removal and hand packing. Replace the seals each time. This only needs to be done on a yearly basis if you tow a lot or less often if you only go a few miles each season. Grease on brake shoes is very dangerous and destroys the shoes. It cannot be washed off with a solvent. There are numerous how to videos on youtube, this is not rocket science!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How many strokes??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.