|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Brakes for 2017 F350 DRW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is kinda a multi faceted question. Currently have about 34k on truck. No pulsing and what I'd consider normal fade at this point (but this is subject to each persons view).

So here goes:
1. What's ave life span on factory brakes (not 100% hi-way use)?
2. What's best brand to go with?
3. Replace pads only or both?
4. Best place to get pads/rotors from?
5. Best time of year to do if still okay? (ok I'll take the heat on this one as it's a silly one.....but)

I don't know how current pads look as I'm not in shop when tires are rotated. Just really thinking ahead and formulating a game plan.

TIA

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 30K of almost always hauling a heavy truck camper, heavy fifth wheel, or heavy boat. I inspected my pads a few weeks ago when swapping tires and they were in great shape with probably 70% life left. Rotors look new.

I change brake fluid every couple years, when I tackle other maintenance that has me under there anyway.

We use the EB more than the service brakes, so that might make a big difference. Regardless, I doubt you need to worry too much about it right now, but ask the service center to take a look next time you have the tires rotated.

I've always run either OE, or EBC brakes.

* This post was last edited 07/14/21 11:56am by n0arp *   View edit history

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m betting after inspection you won’t need any service. Only 34k on a 2017? Wow.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you asking about calipers/pads/rotors/brake fluid, or just pads and rotors?

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did them all at around 70,000 miles. Pads only as its a waste of money for any of the rest of that stuff unless you ruin a rotor or a caliper sticks. These F-350s have a bad history of seizing up Calipers but mine has 167,000mi on it and just had one seize about a month ago. I use the best pads at Auto Zone because of lifetime warranty. I do my own work and my 1994 Blazer has had free Auto Zone brakes several times over the years.

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would choose a local mechanic you like, brake calibers should be lubed occasionally and brake fluid should be changed out per your maintenance manual. I do mine every few years though, my truck is only used for towing and hauling, so low miles per year. I like OEM rotors, or some premium name brand ones. On a one ton I rarely need to replace them ever. Only if they get damaged for some reason, warped, cracked, stuck caliber does damage or whatever. I had a front right brake caliber lock up on me from internal corrosion, but the rotor survived.

Lots of variables on pad life, average driver probably will get 60K to 120K out of the front pads on a late model one ton. Exhaust brakes help greatly too. If the rotors are in spec I would keep on using them. My current pads on a dually are about 50% gone with over 50,000 miles on mostly rural rods. I put on the Hawk brand pads early before the OEM's wore out, not much difference. The Hawk pads I have now seem to be nosier maybe, not much dust though. My rear pads last forever it seems, I end up changing them due to the age! Auto parts store pads are fine, I wouldn't buy the fancy ones again.

Its an easy job to lube calibers and check pads, I do my own brake maintenance. I usually get 150K or more from brake rotors here in the SE. Mine rust out from trips on salted roads before they wear out.

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2012 F-350 SRW has the best brakes that I've experienced in 56 years of driving in brake feel, performance, and longevity. So, I had the first brake job done with Ford OEM parts (not MotorCraft--they are made cheaper to sell cheaper), and I'm getting about 95K miles on those brakes. They are so good, I'll do nothing but Ford OEM until they're not available. OP should definitely have the pads inspected for wear before making any decision. When pads last 95K miles, I would definitely replace the rotors as well.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Life expectancy depends on driving style and load. Lots of highway miles and you should be able to go well past 50k.

The only way you can know if you need pads is pull the tire and wheel, spray brake cleaner through the hole in the top of the caliper. Most pads have a vertical slot cut through fom top to bottom. If you can see the slot (light required) you have at least another 10k. Look carefully for even wear on the inside versus the outside pad.

Spend the money and buy a premium HD set of pads from a reputable vendor. I like Raybestos, but you have to be careful as they have several different grades of pads.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I changed the pads on my 2015 CTD at about 75k. They still had some life left but I already bought the replacement pads and they're pretty cheap, so I swapped them out. The rotors were fine and should be unless you ruin them by running the pads down too low.

At 34k miles I don't imagine you are very close to needing to change anything, but everybody drives a little different.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While not Ford, my 2011 Chevy 3500 Dually was still on the Factory Pads when traded with 115K on it with most of that pulling a heavy 5th Wheel.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Brakes for 2017 F350 DRW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.