|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 1984 carriage brake magnets

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
RRRDAD

Lincoln

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi. I have a 1984 carriage fifth wheel camper and I need to replace the brake magnets . The brake magnets have a little different look to them they are not the typical round or oval look does anyone know where I can find this type of magnet or have any suggestions on other magnets I can use? In addition if anyone knows how to post a photo on here I can sure do that to help out

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try Rock Auto online they have all sorts of parts for extinct vehicles

RockAuto

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRRDAD wrote:

Hi. I have a 1984 carriage fifth wheel camper and I need to replace the brake magnets . The brake magnets have a little different look to them they are not the typical round or oval look does anyone know where I can find this type of magnet or have any suggestions on other magnets I can use? In addition if anyone knows how to post a photo on here I can sure do that to help out

So what is the shape? A photo would help. Here are some photos: Photos

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are they Dexter brand? Here is a sight with some measurements: https://trailerparts.com/products/brakes........c-brake-parts/trailer-brake-magnets.html

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are much better off, replacing the entire brake assembly back plate.

Some of the older axle manufacturers have been bought up or gone out of business making finding exact parts for that brake assembly difficult or impossible to find.

New backplates gets you not only new magnets but shoes plus all the mechanicals and is fully assembled. Just remove 4 nuts holding the backplate to the axle and the old assembly falls off.

You will need to get a left and right assembly, don't mix them up.

This one in the pix is for 3,500 lb axles which use 10" drum 2.5" wide brake shoes.

[image]

Found HERE for $130 for a pair (Left and Right)

Back plate assemblies are fairly universal and fits quite a few different axle manufacturers (including old defunct axle manufacturers).

Select via the size of the brake drum, typically 2,000 lb axles will have 7" drums, 3,500 lb axles will have 10" drums, 5,000 lb axles will have 12" drums..

Whatever you decide to do, do BOTH L and R sides at the same time, otherwise you will have uneven braking which will pull to one side.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

You are much better off, replacing the entire brake assembly back plate.

Some of the older axle manufacturers have been bought up or gone out of business making finding exact parts for that brake assembly difficult or impossible to find.

New backplates gets you not only new magnets but shoes plus all the mechanicals and is fully assembled. Just remove 4 nuts holding the backplate to the axle and the old assembly falls off.

You will need to get a left and right assembly, don't mix them up.

This one in the pix is for 3,500 lb axles which use 10" drum 2.5" wide brake shoes.

[image]

Found HERE for $130 for a pair (Left and Right)

Back plate assemblies are fairly universal and fits quite a few different axle manufacturers (including old defunct axle manufacturers).

Select via the size of the brake drum, typically 2,000 lb axles will have 7" drums, 3,500 lb axles will have 10" drums, 5,000 lb axles will have 12" drums..

Whatever you decide to do, do BOTH L and R sides at the same time, otherwise you will have uneven braking which will pull to one side.

X2.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as you are looking at replacing the entire backing plate..... consider going right to disk brakes.
Huge improvement.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

As long as you are looking at replacing the entire backing plate..... consider going right to disk brakes.
Huge improvement.

[emoticon]

Kind of like "throwing the baby out with the bath water" kind of extreme?

$250 in backing plates vs $1K plus labor for disc conversion [emoticon]

Drum brakes can often perform just as well as discs at much less cost, they often get a bad rap but that is because RV manufacturers often use undersized wiring which creates a huge voltage loss.. As much as 20% loss of braking power due to the resistance by using 14 Ga wiring compared to using 8 ga wiring.

Replacing original 14 ga wire is a very low cost upgrade without the need to spend $1K plus multiple weekends.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 1984 carriage brake magnets
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.