RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Old Air Compressors-Safety Hazards-Heads Up

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Old Air Compressors-Safety Hazards-Heads Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was planning to use a 20+ year old garage-type air compressor to add 75psi air to a soft motorhome tire. My son had bought it used, for cheap, ten years ago and who knows how long previous users had it and if they maintained it. I was looking at You Tube videos to see how to operate the old monster and ran across a video showing the destruction in a residential garage that was caused when a tank blew up. It wiped out his garage door and entry door plus other damage. The long term user and DIY mechanic swore he would never again run another compressor inside his garage and would never stand next to one again while running.

I decided to use my 2-gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor that takes forever to get up to 100psi and able to pump to 75psi. At least I bought it new and have used very little. There was another video that showed a guy cutting a section out of an old compressor tank. It showed that rust in the bottom of the horizontal tank had penetrated 25% through the thick tank metal.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice. Thank you.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SAR Tracker

Central Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yep.
Store it at 50% pressure.
Unplug it when not in use.
Relieve the regulator to zero.
Drain the water from the tank religiously.

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My little 2-gallon Campbell Hausfeld 120vac compressor was able to pump 75psi into RV tire.

Tips for small compressors: It runs as long as needed to get to 100psi in the tank then it shuts off. You have to jamb the chuck quickly onto the tire valve, so as not to lose any air, listen carefully as air goes slowly into the tire, then check psi with accurate gage, without losing air. May need to repeat until you "sneak" in enough air to reach 75-80 psi.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was working part time for a small municipality a few years ago, the insurance company sent an inspector to check all the Pressure Vessels used by the water and sewer plants.
This included a small consumer grade air compressor that was only used occasionally to sweep the floor with air.
The inspector said, 'you would be amazed at how often they explode and the damage they cause when they do explode.'

rwynkoop

St. Louis MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OH wow. I have one from 1994 that leaks air due to rust. Going to stop using it now. Wow, did not know this could happen.

2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well give some thought when airing up 80 psi to 110 psi tires. If you get new tires at Discount/America’s tire they inflate your tires in a cage.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When used correctly they sould last and do fine. So they need to have condensate drained. They should also have relief valves. Like anything in life, if you dont know how to use it , maybe you shouldn't.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know when sitting by the MH tire trying to get up to 110-120 lbs of pressure, I'm always concerned about said fire exploding on me. Now I can worry about the compressor too.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t forget to carry a valve core tool to tighten the valve stem on the tire.

I went to add air on my duals and one of the valve cores loosened up causing the air to leak out. I didn’t have the $3 tool and had to make an auto parts store visit. Something simple that i forgot caused me grief.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Old Air Compressors-Safety Hazards-Heads Up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.