|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Basic Maintenance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the brakes are easy. I would do that and just replace the brake pads while you are in there, they are not so expensive that while u have it all apart u can pop new ones in.
At very lease get brake cleaner and clean the brakes, there will be a lot of brake dust. If pads are not worn then leave them in though.
Your brakes will need adjustment. That brake adjuster tool is worth gettin, but a flat head will work too. Youtube is your friend for how-to.

Hub bearings are very needy. You should jack up the wheel so it spins free and grab the tire and try to rock it to see if there is any play in the bearings. Adjustment is easy, and some axles need adjustments every few thousand miles. Grease is cheap as the old mechanics say, but careful not to get it on the brake pads or drums. You will adjust the hub with the wheel still on so that is a bonus

Leaks is the biggest concern. The Lap sealant made by Dicor is what you want to use on all "caulking" places. There is regular and self-leveling. Self leveling is esp good on the roof and it will flow into crevices. Regular is good on the walls as it will not run. Its about $9-12 per tube.

Scrape off the old caulk and apply new Lap sealant. 5 years is a lot to ask of the sealants, and sometimes needs it more often. Don't go 2 years without looking closely at the caulking. Vents are esp vulnerable, scrape off and re-apply. Remove the vent shroud if you have one as it will hide the vent.
For scraping a 5-in-1 tool is handy.

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had pop-ups and then two travel trailers over a 25 year time span. Based on my experiences:
1. Get new tires and go with one of the better brands such as the Good Year Endurance or Maxxis tires (Maxxis tires worked well for me).
2. I had brakes checked and serviced at least every other year, and would definitely have the checked/serviced before a high mileage road trip.
3. Check all seams yearly and seal as necessary. It's usually a good time to do it when you are giving the roof a good cleaning, checking AC units, etc.
4. Check and clean out the access areas for the water heater and refrigerator yearly. I had forgot about checking the refrigerator access panel on our MH for quite some time, and I recently opened it up and it definitely needed cleaning....quite a bit of dirt and dust. Visually check the gas flame to make sure it looks like it is burning properly. Watch out for spiders building webs in the refrigerator flue pipe (I think that's the right term). Can brush it out with a small brush...it may require removing a metal shield.
5. Check under the camper to make sure all wiring is properly attached (not dragging, hanging down, etc.). If the underside is covered, look and feel for any indication of water pooling or collecting.

Hope that helps!

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemling wrote:

From what I've read, 6-10 years is a good interval for tires, no matter what.

That's way too long for tires. They should be replaced at about 5-6 years, "no matter what"

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Op, yes all those things are due for a look see.
Tires replace.
Bearings, repack or at least shoot them some more grease.
Brakes, if they’re working fine, there’s no maintenance needed. But if you’re going after bearings you’ll have them apart anyway.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Op, yes all those things are due for a look see.
Tires replace.
Bearings, repack or at least shoot them some more grease.
Brakes, if they’re working fine, there’s no maintenance needed. But if you’re going after bearings you’ll have them apart anyway.

Actually, brakes should be physically assessed periodically for wear and damage. Brake lining can and will crack, break or wear uneven just like an automobile. Some cracks may be harmless depending on location and depth but cracks near edges or missing pieces definitely require replacement.

This is acknowledged by Dexter and is noted in their maintenance manual found HERE

I am including the maintenance chart from Dexters manual in the link above for reference.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Brake adjustment should be done 3K miles or 3 months.

Brake shoe inspection should be done 12K miles or 12 months.

Brake magnet inspection 6K miles or 6 months.

Hub/drum/bearings should be inspected for wear 12K miles or 12 months.

Generally in practice checking all internal brake components once a yr should be sufficient and if you are in the use it very little mileage category once every 2 yrs should be fine.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it comes time to replace the brakes, upgrade to Dexter Dexter Nev-R-Adjust brakes

I have them and they are awesome.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Basic Maintenance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.