RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 40’+ limitations?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 40’+ limitations?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a 5er but my shortest DP is 36ft with a 30ft enclosed carrying my toys. I have had a 45ft DP with the same trailer. Since I already live in the woods I have no desire to amp there and have been all over the US. Don't remember ever being turned away from any camp ground. But like I said I never go in primitive campgrounds

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been looking at the same thing, and we like mainly state parks, so I went to the reservation site for numerous parks in GA and FL that we like to go to, and put in the camper length to see how many sites I'd fit in. I noticed that 36 eliminated a good many, but then 40+ cut it way down. There we not sites for over 40 in 2 of our favorite parks.

Play around on the different reservation sites, and see how many sites work for the different lengths.

I've decided not to go over 36, and wouldn't mind staying a little below that.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Much of the answer depends on your abilities and confidence towing a rig of that size.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are sized out of many Western state and national parks as well BLM and USFS at even 38 feet. Depends on where you like to camp.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/21 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our previous 5th wheels were 28, 34, and the current is 40. I've never had an issue getting a site. We prefer COE and state park campgrounds, but will stay at a nice private campground, especially for just an overnight.
I have looked at parks in New England states that had small sites, but they didn't have water or electricity either. They really don't like RV's so I accommodate them by not spending my money there.
We plan ahead and reserve early.
If you travel in the same direction more than once you will remember which parks and campgrounds you like and can accommodate you.
We haven't parked overnight at WalMart yet.
Get the RV you really want.
40-43 ft isn't that rare anymore.
edit add...you will have issues in National Parks, especially like Smokey MTN NAT Park. They are a few there but go fast.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty wrote:

Much of the answer depends on your abilities and confidence towing a rig of that size.

I agree with this. I have a 39' rig. If I can determine that the CG has a few larger sites indicating I can move around on the CG roads than I will often book a 35' site. Often my rear can overhang quite a bit.
Booking a site that is technically too small is not foolproof, but many times I have squeezed myself in. I try to scope out CG's if I'm in the area and determine for myself where I can fit.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our previous 5er was 35ft present 37.5. I call it 38 "40ft with the carrier" when asked in 10 years fulltime we have only twice not found a site for an overnight.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping style is more important than size. Those of us with 40' rigs are not looking for remote sites or rustic CG's. In geral we have no problem finding sites large enough to accomodate are rigs.
Likewise those with Truck Campers are generally not looking to stay at the local KOA or commercial CG.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Camping style is more important than size. Those of us with 40' rigs are not looking for remote sites or rustic CG's.

oh I do. Just takes a bit of research to find the ones you can fit it. I didn't put all that solar on the 5th for nothing haha. but seriously though out here I see a ton of people with 40+ foot rigs in the boonies, the trick is for some of the forestry sites you have to send the wife out in the car to see if a site you can fit in is open before you turn off the main road, other wise your waisting 40min to two hours of traveling for nothing.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Fidel Gastro

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 40+ foot 5r for 6 years. Anyone who claims it is not an issue at times is in denial. If you exclusivly camp in pack em in paved parking lot commercial places such as KOA etc, the size may or may not be an issue. It definitely is in most if not all state and federal administered campgrounds, even moreso if they're wooded and in the eastern half of the US.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 40’+ limitations?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.