RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 40’+ limitations?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 40’+ limitations?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fidel Gastro wrote:

We had a 40+ foot 5r for 6 years. Anyone who claims it is not an issue at times is in denial. If you exclusivly camp in pack em in paved parking lot commercial places such as KOA etc, the size may or may not be an issue. It definitely is in most if not all state and federal administered campgrounds, even moreso if they're wooded and in the eastern half of the US.

I'm not claiming I can fit it every site out there. However I have no problem finding state parks ,county parks and COE parks with sites that fit my rig.
I do not camp exclsively camp at Private parks. There are plenty of public parks with sites to accomodate my rig.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley you think you can get up or down Oella ave?

Fidel Gastro

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Fidel Gastro wrote:

We had a 40+ foot 5r for 6 years. Anyone who claims it is not an issue at times is in denial. If you exclusivly camp in pack em in paved parking lot commercial places such as KOA etc, the size may or may not be an issue. It definitely is in most if not all state and federal administered campgrounds, even moreso if they're wooded and in the eastern half of the US.

I'm not claiming I can fit it every site out there. However I have no problem finding state parks ,county parks and COE parks with sites that fit my rig.
I do not camp exclsively camp at Private parks. There are plenty of public parks with sites to accomodate my rig.

That's great but if you were to pull into the state park I sit in as I type this you would be SOL. At least for any of the sites that could accomodate anything over 32' or so. All of those sites were booked solid months ago. When we had the monster it took a lot of extra time scoping out places and sites along with having a quick trigger finger for reservations. And at this particular park the host and rangers are parking nazis. Get the tow vehicle off the gravel or in the grass and you get an earful.

There may be plenty of parks with sites that will accomodate, but you have to work at finding those large enough sites and they're a miniscule percentage of the total sites in those parks.

* This post was edited 07/16/21 01:25pm by an administrator/moderator *

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^Actually we haven't found a COE that we couldn't find a site. Many state parks as well.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fidel Gastro wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Fidel Gastro wrote:

That's great but if you were to pull into the state park I sit in as I type this you would be SOL. At least for any of the sites that could accomodate anything over 32' or so. All of those sites were booked solid months ago. When we had the monster it took a lot of extra time scoping out places and sites along with having a quick trigger finger for reservations. And at this particular park the host and rangers are parking nazis. Get the tow vehicle off the gravel or in the grass and you get an earful.

There may be plenty of parks with sites that will accomodate, but you have to work at finding those large enough sites and they're a miniscule percentage of the total sites in those parks.

Prior planning is a totally different issue than size of your rig.
Your mixing apples and oranges
I agree you can't just roll into a CG, last minute hoping your going to get the last site, rolling the dice is even more futile with a larger rig.

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To be more direct to the concern of the op I would not let the length of a fiver dictate the floor plan of what I really wanted. If a 40 footer has the layout of what you really like vs a 32 footer that is just ok I would go with the 40 footer. If you don't you will be sorry down the road.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/21 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campinghoss@51 wrote:

To be more direct to the concern of the op I would not let the length of a fiver dictate the floor plan of what I really wanted. If a 40 footer has the layout of what you really like vs a 32 footer that is just ok I would go with the 40 footer. If you don't you will be sorry down the road.

Spoken very well as that's the exact advice we got back in '04 when we were looking at getting our own RV.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/21 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Lantley you think you can get up or down Oella ave?

Good question. Off the top of my head I think I could make it through if there were no oncoming traffic. However it is the kind of road I would avoid while towing if possible.
There is a great CG in Romney,WVA that I have not been back to because I'm not sure I can navigate the roads within the CG.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another BIG concern is many Campgrounds never cut low hanging limbs. My rig is 13'-4" and it would never make it thru many places unscathed.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/21 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are 37+ and have made several trips up and down the eastern seaboard. Many state parks in Florida and Georgia along with a slew of COE parks without any problem.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 40’+ limitations?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.