|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Anyone have an all elec. car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mtnbbud

Oregon Willamette Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a 2014 in 2016 Leaf with 20k miles on it for 12k. Like brand new, it drives excellent. There's some really neat things about how an electric car performs compared to an ICE. My wife and I really like the car, but it's only for close in trips. There has been absolutely zero maintenance other than replacing the wiper blades and filling the window washing fluid. When we bought it, it had a 90 mile range. It's down to a 60 mile range now. The range is definitely an issue. We still love the car, but we use our Tacoma for long trips.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EV at any "cost"?

Some folks are diving in because they are no longer paying road fuel taxes, no longer paying "big oil", believe it is zero pollution (save the Earth) but it does not come without consequences.

Electric generation is not free, electric distribution and maintenance is not free and it is not free of pollution.

ICE vehicles also pay road taxes on each gallon of fuel, federal excise taxes typically around 16 cents per gallon and state gathers 40-60 cents per gallon depending on the state you buy fuel in..

EV owners pay zero, for now..

Right now about 17 States are in the process of fixing that and then some by replacing fuel tax surcharge on motor fuels with lots of other nuisance fees that will cost every consumer of every State even if they do not own an automobile..

PA right now is considering everything under the sun to replace the fuel taxes as they have recognized that if everyone moved to EV they will no longer have any income from road fuels taxes.

See HERE

"With fuel costs as excessive as they’re the fuel tax is a well-liked goal among the many driving public. At $0.59 a gallon, Pennsylvania has one of many highest state fuel taxes within the nation.

However right here’s the difficulty. With extra folks driving hybrid and electrical vehicles, the fuel tax shouldn’t be bringing within the cash it as soon as did. That cash is critically wanted to restore the Commonwealth’s roads and bridges.

So the state is in search of a approach to eradicate the fuel tax and ‘change’ it with another income stream.

“It’s extra of a shift than changing it,” says PA State Senator Jay Costa. “We don’t have the cash in Pennsylvania to fill these funding gaps, and that’s a part of the issue.”

So the whole lot is on the desk from the very unpopular tolling of bridges, to growing licensing charges, a milage tax, and a $0.25 to $1 price on the whole lot delivered to your private home.

“What I name a package deal price,” says Costa. “Simply suppose it’s one of many issues that we, the state should have a look at. We acknowledge now that extra packages are being delivered across the nation in Pennsylvania than ever earlier than. The elevated use of our roads and our highways, by these autos which might be delivering these packages is a part of that dialog.”

"

So, right now the current recommendations being bantered about is doubling the annual registration which would make that $78 for cars and pickup trucks paying $250 per yr would pay $500 per yr..

In addition a "package surcharge" of $1 per package delivered by Amazon (and most likely all other Online sellers)..

Not to mention a "per mile charge" for all PA registered vehicles..

Much of what PA is proposing will be an very unfair cost structure that puts 100% of the road maintenance burden on the residents and ignores all of the non resident traffic flowing through and using PAs roads..

Currently, with road fuel taxes some of the burden is shifted towards non residents that "pass" through or live in a neighboring State that ends up needing to stop for fuel..

Then you have trickle down effects of how much the added electrical burden will affect power companies generation costs.. I suspect Federal Gov will also wish to make up their lost road fuels revenue so most likely that will be attacked via a surcharge on everyones electrical use pushing up overall electric costs..

And we haven't touched on the environmental impact of more power plants, more distribution, more solar panels, more batteries all which are just as dirty as using fossil fuel if not worse considering much of the highly toxic and hazardous leftover waste materials involved with solar panel and battery building..

If you want an EV, buy it, just don't pretend it is free ride or non polluting.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/21 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not opposed to an EV, but not as our primary vehicle. Both my wife and I work from home. I own my own business and work out of the house while my wife works remotely. So for local travel, an EV would be fine. However, since we can work where ever as long as we have internet access, we travel to NJ multiple times through the year to visit family. The trip is right at 800 miles. Without traffic, I can usually make the trip in 11 - 12 hours. In our current "family car", we make one stop to fuel up, bathroom break and food.

That same trip, according to Tesla's trip planner, would require 3 stops and would add almost 3 hours to our trip without traffic. We leave for this trip at 3 am, which gets us to the worst state to travel through, Virginia, early enough to avoid heavy traffic (although over the past few years, it seems traffic is always bad through the entire state of VA). With an EV, we'd get to VA too late and it would take 4-5 hours to get through a state that should normally take 2.5 hours to get through.

Right now, my wife and I share 1 car. We have shared 1 car for the past couple years when our second car died and we decided not to replace it. If we decide to get a second vehicle, an EV might be considered. The more I read about the F-150 Lightning, the more appealing it becomes.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dozer wrote:

Am considering one, your opinions good and bad would be greatly appreciated.

Yep. This one.

[image]

[image]

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/21 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d1h wrote:

Don't seem very practical yet, at least for long trips. Maybe way in the future they might be. Plus who wants to sit around at a charging station, if you can find one, for hours waiting for your vehicle to fully charge? A cross country trip would take forever. I'll take my gas powered vehicle any day. Electric might be fine for just in town trips only.

Yah, none of those things happen if you are driving any of the late model more common long range EV's.

stripit

Prescott

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a 2019 Model X 100D and LOVE it, we use it as our everyday vehicle. I charge from home either on Saturday or Sunday ( electric rates are lower on weekend) for a few hours to bring the battery up to 80% charge. I use the car all week and get it down to about 35 to 40% charge, so about 160 to 200 miles used. As close as I can figure it costs me about $8.50 to $9.00 to charge it back up at home. Lots of room, fast, very comfortable and so far zero maintenance costs. Just wish it was 4 down towable. I bought it in North Carolina and drove it cross country to Az. Really enjoyed that drive and how easy it was to charge along the way.

Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stripit wrote:

I own a 2019 Model X 100D and LOVE it, we use it as our everyday vehicle. I charge from home either on Saturday or Sunday ( electric rates are lower on weekend) for a few hours to bring the battery up to 80% charge. I use the car all week and get it down to about 35 to 40% charge, so about 160 to 200 miles used. As close as I can figure it costs me about $8.50 to $9.00 to charge it back up at home. Lots of room, fast, very comfortable and so far zero maintenance costs. Just wish it was 4 down towable. I bought it in North Carolina and drove it cross country to Az. Really enjoyed that drive and how easy it was to charge along the way.

I wonder how much less EV hate would be on this site if they were towable?
I also wonder what mechanics is keeping them from being towed. My (limited) understanding is a major problem with IC is the transmission does not lube unless the engine is spinning, and the engine has way to much friction to spin when not making power. 4X4 works because of the disconnect (transfer case) between wheels and transmission.
A motor, with open electrical connections has less friction than the differential on IC car.

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how long the free or compilatory charging stations will stay free. I would think something like $1.00 a minute. So $60.00 for a 1 hour charge. Plus local, state and federal taxes equal to or grater then the taxes on gas.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cost to charge an EV

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My bro-in-law leased a Chevy Bolt. The good: peppy performance, cute styling, and plenty of room for 4 adults. BIL is 6'4" and had ample headroom. The not-so-good: He opted for the "cheaper" home charger which basically took all night to recharge. He and Ed had gone for a nice lunch, and plugged into the downtown stanchion - Ed said that an hour-and-a-half of charging resulted in 6 more miles of driving. Lastly, our son is a volunteer firefighter and "Tech 5", and has quite a bit of training on extrication from a crashed EV.

As of July 15th, Chevy has advised Bolt owners to park and charge their cars outside, after 2 cars caught fire.

I'm not sold on EVs. Yet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Anyone have an all elec. car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.