|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Anyone have an all elec. car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back again with a thought... (this could be dangerous)

Are there any EVs yet that can be towed 4-down? There were not last time I looked.

Now, if some EV builder made a model that could be towed 4-down, and had a feature that when in braking mode signaled from the coach, it went into regenerative braking so as to recharge the system when you want to slow the rig anyway.
Do you think that they could sell a few in this crowd?

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 01:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"and had a feature that when in braking mode signaled from the coach, it went into regenerative braking so as to recharge the system when you want to slow the rig anyway"

One better would be a way for it to charge while being towed. Still would be a small market,but ebay started small too.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

"and had a feature that when in braking mode signaled from the coach, it went into regenerative braking so as to recharge the system when you want to slow the rig anyway"

One better would be a way for it to charge while being towed. Still would be a small market,but ebay started small too.

I would think that if the regen braking was used with the jake, first to come on anytime you wanted to slow, it would not take a very long trip to get full charge.
But once full charge you loose that braking. While we are dreaming, why not let the driver control using the toad's power to pull at least it's self while accelerating or going up hill? Hooking tow bar re-programs the cruse control to following distance equal to length of towbar. Could still get lots of regen slowing the whole rig, and riding that close behind MH, very little wind resistance eating power. End of day, near full charge.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be a little leery of the regen while braking though. I have seen way to many Jeep toads that for some reason after getting fuel in the MH have the brakes lock or it could be the trans, and they drag it out of the fuel stop and blow 2-4 tires on it.[emoticon]

I've yelled at a few,some have stopped,others I see at the entrance ramp to the freeway on shoulder with blown tires.

To over simplify it,a charging plug on the front of the car and use the power from the tow vehicle.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

I would be a little leery of the regen while braking though. I have seen way to many Jeep toads that for some reason after getting fuel in the MH have the brakes lock or it could be the trans, and they drag it out of the fuel stop and blow 2-4 tires on it.[emoticon]

I've yelled at a few,some have stopped,others I see at the entrance ramp to the freeway on shoulder with blown tires.

To over simplify it,a charging plug on the front of the car and use the power from the tow vehicle.

I have not studied it, and sure I have the education background to understand if I tried.
But somebody that drives one could tell us; Is the regen just off/on, or does it increase as you ask to slow at a faster rate? Is the signal to start slowing by regen all mechanical, or does the who pedal work a switch? If mechanical, more complicated, but possible. (I have seen deals that mount in the toad to mash the pedal) If it is all electronic just feed the circuit from TV.
I can't see how a motor could lock wheels unless big gear reduction, (A winch motor can hold load, but most places you can spin the motor by moving the load.)
Charging with power from TV could work, but that power must come from somewhere. Using regen that energy is some of what is converted to heat and dissipated when you need to slow. If the EV is harder to pull than ICE, because of charging, less acceptance.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my vantage point, I can see that it's up to members of the general public to invest their own money and time into the research and developing of the electric vehicles (as field testers). Thank you

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

My bro-in-law leased a Chevy Bolt. The good: peppy performance, cute styling, and plenty of room for 4 adults. BIL is 6'4" and had ample headroom. The not-so-good: He opted for the "cheaper" home charger which basically took all night to recharge. He and Ed had gone for a nice lunch, and plugged into the downtown stanchion - Ed said that an hour-and-a-half of charging resulted in 6 more miles of driving. Lastly, our son is a volunteer firefighter and "Tech 5", and has quite a bit of training on extrication from a crashed EV.

As of July 15th, Chevy has advised Bolt owners to park and charge their cars outside, after 2 cars caught fire.

I'm not sold on EVs. Yet.

A Chevy bolt charges at 7.2 KW rate on an L2 charger which is what we’ll assume he was connected to. In an hour and a half it would take on about 10 to 11 kWh. At about 6.4 kilometres per kWh your looking at around 60 is kilometres or 40 ish miles depending on driving conditions. If he charged for an hour and a half either the car or the charge station is defective.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

Back again with a thought... (this could be dangerous)

Are there any EVs yet that can be towed 4-down? There were not last time I looked.

Now, if some EV builder made a model that could be towed 4-down, and had a feature that when in braking mode signaled from the coach, it went into regenerative braking so as to recharge the system when you want to slow the rig anyway.
Do you think that they could sell a few in this crowd?

Matt

No EV’s I know of are towable four down...or not within the guidelines of the warranty. [emoticon]

Leafs can be towed on a dolly.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

miltvill wrote:

I wonder how long the free or compilatory charging stations will stay free. I would think something like $1.00 a minute. So $60.00 for a 1 hour charge. Plus local, state and federal taxes equal to or grater then the taxes on gas.

Hmmm. It may be different where you are but I’m not aware of free DC fast charging stations unless maybe it’s some kind of short term promotion. I have seen new stations with 30 day promotional runs so people will come out and find them.

Staying connected to a DCFC for an hour would be extremely rude, and probably incur some serious idle charges as the car would have finished long before that.

I have seen level 2 charges that are free. Usually at restaurants or hotels or golf courses. Usually used as loss leaders. They give you a buck or two worth of power and you spend 60 bucks in the restaurant, or 200 bucks on the golf course or 120 bucks on a hotel. [emoticon].

Cheers.

loralli23

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look at it as much the same as the early days of engine powered cars.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Anyone have an all elec. car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.