RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Good Sam Roadside Assistance: Boondocking & Assistance Plans

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Boondocking & Assistance Plans

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
martymain

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With so many folks boondocking off the beaten path (like my wife and I in in our Heavy Duty (semi tractor) Truck and big 5th wheel RV trailer), perhaps it's time Roadside Assistance/Towing Plans have an option to handle these type of tow vehicles and be capable of reaching them on sandy beaches, drivable desert pathways and mountain dirt roadways. 100 feet off maintained roads (as most plans limit) may not be sufficient to reach us.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using this and other RV plus HDT forums maybe a network of HDT owners/drivers can be created to help each other out with this problem for a hefty fee maybe.

If you pay yourself the tow truck outfits may tow you from further to reach places which would be my offer if I break down in my Dodge Ram further from the paved road once the operator arrives onsite and we cut out AAA or I may not even call AAA. I was stuck in a sandy beach area next to a lake and the park ranger towed me out and I cancelled the AAA service call. I did tell them I was stuck in the sand away from road.

No ideal solutions for any of us it would seem. Maybe someone here has actual experience with this challenge.

* This post was last edited 07/16/21 01:55pm by NamMedevac 70 *   View edit history

Lwiddis

Anza-Borrego Desert SP area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/21 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How would the plans calculate the average cost of recovery and assistance when terrain, soils etc. vary so greatly? Oceano Dunes is easy but the Eastern Sierra isn’t.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Sam Roadside Assistance defines "off road area" as ...

"VEHICLES NOT COVERED BY THE GOOD SAM PLATINUM ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
PROGRAM INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Stolen, vandalized, or impounded vehicles.
• Utility trailers of any type being used for non-recreational purposes, animal trailers and vehicles used to transport show animals.
• Tiny Home trailers and Park Model trailers
• Vehicles located outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Mexico.
• Vehicles in a repair facility, off-road area 10, sand beach area, or any unattended, unlicensed, or abandoned vehicles.
• Commercial/business vehicles and trailers (including but not limited to limousines), vehicles specifically designed for commercial or business purposes.
Vehicles licensed commercially or in a business name.
• Any personal vehicle(s) used for any type of commercial/business purpose(s) or for any other non-recreational purpose(s)."

"10 An off-road area is defined as an area OFF of any of the following: hard-packed or graded dirt public road, paved street, driveway, parking lot, highway, freeway, expressway or adjacent shoulder."

No mention of an allowable "distance off the road".
This was taken from their Platinum Plan Member Benefits Brochure.

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/21 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roadside Assistance programs aren't going to do this. There is no profit in it.

First, someone has to pay the driver to drive out to you. That will be over $150 per hour. If you are 5 hours from the nearest shop, that's $750 just to reach you. And that's if the shop has a truck that can tow your rig.

Next, there is the cost to get you to the shop. Again, if you're lucky, the shop with the truck can accept your rig, so that will only be another $750 to tow you there.

You've already spent $1500 and haven't even had your rig checked out, let alone repaired.

So how much are you willing to pay for RA? They aren't going to sell it to you for $200 a year when a single service call will be 7-10 times more expensive.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/21 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During a camping trip, my suv got stuck in forest loam deep in a national forest. The ranger got me in touch with the closest tow service. They were two hours away and only had a 3500 pickup. Fortunately, it was enough for them to literally yank my suv out of the loam. Cost me $300. No credit card service and I didn't have cash. The driver/owner and I made a deal. He called his kids' school and I paid the $300 towards their enrollment fees over the phone using my card.

Good Sam Care Team

Everywhere

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I am closing this topic due to lack of activity. Thank you for your time and participating. Please feel free to open a new thread on this topic in the future if you wish.

Thank you,
Ella
Good Sam Care Team

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Boondocking & Assistance Plans
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.