|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Speed limits

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

They changed the wording from "at least one car length per every 10mph" to "at least three seconds" because it is easier to figure out.

I don't think that going down the road counting one thousand one, one thousand two, etc. and restart when another car pulls in front of you is easier than to estimate a car length behind a vehicle. in any event, there will not be any precision into any method is used to determine distance.
bumpy

Many people have difficulty estimating distances. And what "is" a car length? Is it a vw bug or a pickup or a sedan or a station wagon? Counting to three seconds takes those arguments out of the equation.

is that count to three, or one onethousand, two two thousand, etc.? what cadence do you use? when that car length was used many years ago I would assume that it was for a standard sized vehicle so it would probably equate to 1.273 of today's vehicle length.
bumpy [emoticon]

You're just being silly now. Is that 1.273 of a fiat or a Suburban?

I have to agree. this discussion is silly, bordering on stupid.
bumpy

Since when is a discussion on safe following distance silly ? There are many silly things discussed on this forum, but safety isn't one of them. Just because people have a differing opinion on what is safe makes it silly ?

Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

The 2 second rule is decent, but they say that stopping distance increases at about the square of speed. So if you're going twice as fast, the stopping distance is 4 times as long as it was at the slower speed. So you're probably right that the 2 second rule doesn't work as well at higher speeds.

Ok, your stopping distance increases on the square. Does the other guy's stopping stay at the same rate as his speed increases? The 2 seconds is the time for you to realize the car is slowing, and how fast, and get on the brake to slow your vehicle. The issue really gets bad is when the lead vehicle can slow at a faster rate. Sometimes a truck will hit a car, knock it well out in front of the truck, then hit it again.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunderbolt wrote:

bumpy
Since when is a discussion on safe following distance silly ? There are many silly things discussed on this forum, but safety isn't one of them. Just because people have a differing opinion on what is safe makes it silly ?

I was referring to the quibbling about 3 or 4 seconds, of F-150 PU or VW bug, that debate was silly bordering on stupid.
bumpy

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

Thunderbolt wrote:

bumpy

I was referring to the quibbling about 3 or 4 seconds, of F-150 PU or VW bug, that debate was silly bordering on stupid.
bumpy

Actually what is silly is thinking everyone can easily judge distances while in a moving vehicle.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, how we digress!
Following distance, I like allowing enough space that I don’t need to be constantly watching the vehicle in front of me. I prefer to be looking a 1/4 mile or more ahead of me, I hate surprises! By looking well down the road I will see slowing, and or braking well ahead of me so I don’t need to be slamming on the brakes.
I see way too many lines of vehicles traveling at 60 to 70 mph less than a car length apart! This is how you get 30 car pileups!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

If one kid has an IQ of 100 and another gets in with an IQ of 100 the combined IQ would total out to about 60.
bumpy

None of us are as dumb as all of us...

Well said, bumpy. Funny things happen when a couple of youngins get together in a car.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD 6.5' box SRW Denali Duramax Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Wow, how we digress!
Following distance, I like allowing enough space that I don’t need to be constantly watching the vehicle in front of me. I prefer to be looking a 1/4 mile or more ahead of me, I hate surprises! By looking well down the road I will see slowing, and or braking well ahead of me so I don’t need to be slamming on the brakes.
I see way too many lines of vehicles traveling at 60 to 70 mph less than a car length apart! This is how you get 30 car pileups!

Yes, much better to see the reason the car in front of you will slow down, before he starts to slow. But that does not help for say the deer that can't read the crosswalk sign.
Now once the tailgating gets tight enough that bumpers bump before the driver can hit brakes, it is better that they run real close together. When the first slows, the 2nd will hit while doing near the same speed.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

No, I am saying that the data does not suppoet your hypothesis that slow moving vehicles are the cause of collisions.

The facts are well established. The engineering community pushes the 85% speed because it's safer and the primary reason is it reduces differential speeds. You don't have to believe it but it's true.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish someone would explain the problem with differential speed to our lawmakers. I am not a commercial truck driver but I believe that having lower speed limits for them creates more problems than it solves.

Truck differential speeds is one reason that I am looking forward to the Tesla semi. The Tesla semi has enough power to pull the vast majority of hills at whatever speed the cruise control is set on and with regenerative breaking speeding going downhill has no benefit as the energy can be saved by other means.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Speed limits
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.