|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 6.8 3-valve towing FW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But bottom line, if you’re in the market for a hauler, the newest V10 pickup you’ll get is 10+ years old. Awesome if you find a cream puff. And the 5 speed torq shift is solid.
But anything other than that and you’re looking at an old truck. How much do you want to spend on a vehicle vs time working on it?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2005 F350 V10 with 4:30 gears. Works great. It works so well that when I ordered a 2019 fiat 3500 HO, my wife asked me to sell our Jaguar XJR and keep the F350. I'm glad I kept it because I have a truck to drive when the 3500 is at the dumbass dealers for repairs, recalls, or both.

We recently bought a new Jaguar SUV for my wife to drive. But, she still drives the F350 almost everyday.

I'm trading in the Peugeot 3500 and am ordering a 2022 F350 with the 7.3. But, we're going to keep the 2005 Ford. It'll be the truck that gets muddy and dirty going to the dump.

To be honest, if you're patient and don't mind going up hills slower, the 6.8 is fine. Even though you can spin the engine at a higher RPM, I never have. Getting up the hill a minutes sooner doesn't make sense when you're driving a few hundred miles. Realistically, the 7.3 will be a bit better but still not the same as 1000+ ft-lbs of torque.

It all comes down to money. A new truck is a lot nicer than a 15 year old truck in great shape. I wouldn't get anything older than a 2005 because you'll get the 3V and a better transmission.

[image]
[image]

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My previous tow vehicle was a 2003 Excursion with 4.30 gearing. On a trip through Colorado and AZ, we were always able to hold 50+mph. The engine did scream, but from what I could find, it was designed to make its horsepower at high RPM's. I did hit a CAT scale as I was curious about my combined weight. 18,990 was the reading. I'm guessing a truck would come in a few hundred pounds lighter than the X. My X was only a 2 valve with a four-speed transmission.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

I have a 2005 F350 V10 with 4:30 gears. Works great. It works so well that when I ordered a 2019 fiat 3500 HO, my wife asked me to sell our Jaguar XJR and keep the F350. I'm glad I kept it because I have a truck to drive when the 3500 is at the dumbass dealers for repairs, recalls, or both.

We recently bought a new Jaguar SUV for my wife to drive. But, she still drives the F350 almost everyday.

I'm trading in the Peugeot 3500 and am ordering a 2022 F350 with the 7.3. But, we're going to keep the 2005 Ford. It'll be the truck that gets muddy and dirty going to the dump.

To be honest, if you're patient and don't mind going up hills slower, the 6.8 is fine. Even though you can spin the engine at a higher RPM, I never have. Getting up the hill a minutes sooner doesn't make sense when you're driving a few hundred miles. Realistically, the 7.3 will be a bit better but still not the same as 1000+ ft-lbs of torque.

It all comes down to money. A new truck is a lot nicer than a 15 year old truck in great shape. I wouldn't get anything older than a 2005 because you'll get the 3V and a better transmission.

[image]
[image]

That's one good lookin truck right there... I would keep it!

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Kalabin

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it depends on where your primarily planning on towing.

I tow a 7000lb Travel Trailer and on flat ground I spin around 1800rpm going down the highway, when I pull a grade going 60-65mph it will drop to about 3200rpm which is where it makes it's peak torque.

I live in Alaska so the most I go from is sea level to about 2k', nothing crazy but it does fine. My last travel trailer was around 9,000lb GVWR and it towed pretty much the same.

Now, with that I only put about 5,000 miles on my truck each year. So getting 7.5-9 mpg towing doesn't bug me at all, and 12mpg unloaded. My use it sits and does very short miles when not towing. If your looking to rack up some miles, and will be towing in serious mountains then I would consider a diesel. Just need to figure out your needs.

Concerning the 6.2 gas engine the telephone utility I work for uses them in F350/F450's. From the guys driving them in the 6.2 they say with the 4.30 rear it pulls about the same as the 6.8 w/ 4.10 rear. So if you find a clean 6.2 w/ 4.30 I wouldn't not look at it.

Some day I would like to snag a new 7.3 Gas with a 4.30 rear, but I'm like you I could afford one, but with my V10 being able to pull all the grades up here @ posted speed limit I have no reason to.

2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the Dog - nice truck. Wish we had the foresight in 1999 to buy a new V10 1 ton dually. We probably would still have it.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Hemling

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's really interesting - I always wondered how equal the 6.8 would be had it gotten the 6 speed transmission. I suppose a 6.2 with the 6 speed would feel just as strong as the v-10 with the 4 or 5 speed trans. Or for that matter a base model 6.2 F350 that's new enough to get the 10 speed. Although if I'm looking that new there isn't that much of a price differential between going for the 7.3 I suppose.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemling wrote:

That's really interesting - I always wondered how equal the 6.8 would be had it gotten the 6 speed transmission. I suppose a 6.2 with the 6 speed would feel just as strong as the v-10 with the 4 or 5 speed trans. Or for that matter a base model 6.2 F350 that's new enough to get the 10 speed. Although if I'm looking that new there isn't that much of a price differential between going for the 7.3 I suppose.

Don’t know about the SD’s, but in the F53 the V-10 for the 6 speed. My buddy says his performs great. He gets about .5mpg better than me so that puts it around 7.2 give or take.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 6.8 3-valve towing FW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.