RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Loss of power when driving

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Loss of power when driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
parker.rowe

Delaware

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/07/21 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

init6 wrote:

Well, I was able to get someone with a Code reader to go over and check it for me. It was creating 2 codes - The first was P0327 and the second was P0332. According to what I have looked up on them, one is Knock Sensor 2, circuit low bank 2

The other code was - Knock sensor 1, circuit low bank 1

I'm still suspecting a fuel filter which is nearly impossible to find with an adapter kit to take it from 3 ports down to just 2. I have tried to order from numerous places and they all seemed to be back ordered. I won't be back at the RV until around Oct at the earliest. If not then, December will be my next attempt.


I would check the wiring for the knock sensors. It may be pulling timing way back if the knock sensors are not reading correctly, as a failsafe. that would make it loose a bunch of power and it could backfire when you get on it, as you reported. But it is odd for them both to fail at once so I would inspect the wiring harness to the sensors.

I'm not sure why you are suspecting the fuel filter when the computer is reporting a problem reading both knock sensors.

Not that it hurts to replace the fuel filter.


2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000


init6

Near Fredericksburg, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/08/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

parker.rowe wrote:

init6 wrote:

Well, I was able to get someone with a Code reader to go over and check it for me. It was creating 2 codes - The first was P0327 and the second was P0332. According to what I have looked up on them, one is Knock Sensor 2, circuit low bank 2

The other code was - Knock sensor 1, circuit low bank 1

I'm still suspecting a fuel filter which is nearly impossible to find with an adapter kit to take it from 3 ports down to just 2. I have tried to order from numerous places and they all seemed to be back ordered. I won't be back at the RV until around Oct at the earliest. If not then, December will be my next attempt.


I would check the wiring for the knock sensors. It may be pulling timing way back if the knock sensors are not reading correctly, as a failsafe. that would make it loose a bunch of power and it could backfire when you get on it, as you reported. But it is odd for them both to fail at once so I would inspect the wiring harness to the sensors.

I'm not sure why you are suspecting the fuel filter when the computer is reporting a problem reading both knock sensors.

Not that it hurts to replace the fuel filter.


I don't know much about engines. Thought maybe the lack of fuel due to a fuel clog caused it to backfire and that is why 2 knock sensor errors came up. But if that isn't likely, that's good to know as well. Trying to get a good game plan together before I arrive back at the RV.

Thanks


2005 Pace Arrow 37c
Workhorse W-24 Chassis

afidel

Cleveland

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/08/21 11:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the response of the ECU to a bad knock sensor is to max out the fuel trim. What that means is it runs the engine as lean as possible which would definitely account for the lost power. Looks like knock sensors run about $100 each, harnesses are around $45 and labor will probably be a few hundred.

Btw there's a known issue with rusting of the knock sensors so when they're replaced make sure they follow the TSB and put in the silicone dam to stop future water intrusion which should keep you from needing to do the repair again in the future.


2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH


wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/09/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

So the response of the ECU to a bad knock sensor is to max out the fuel trim. What that means is it runs the engine as lean as possible which would definitely account for the lost power. Looks like knock sensors run about $100 each, harnesses are around $45 and labor will probably be a few hundred.

Btw there's a known issue with rusting of the knock sensors so when they're replaced make sure they follow the TSB and put in the silicone dam to stop future water intrusion which should keep you from needing to do the repair again in the future.


I agree that it’s really strange to have both failing at the same time. I wonder if some other condition causes the engine to think the sensors are bad.

If you do replace them, they’re only $36.79 each for the ACDelco sensors on rockauto.com.

When I looked into this a bit, it seems the 8.1L has the knock sensors on the outside of the engine below the exhaust manifolds so the water intrusion isn’t an issue there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1V5Gb0VRFM

Also on Amazon:

Sensor

Connector

* This post was edited 09/09/21 09:46am by wnjj *

afidel

Cleveland

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/09/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah,same rust prone sensors but at least they are not in a valley under the manifold like on the smaller engines.

init6

Near Fredericksburg, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/09/21 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

afidel wrote:

So the response of the ECU to a bad knock sensor is to max out the fuel trim. What that means is it runs the engine as lean as possible which would definitely account for the lost power. Looks like knock sensors run about $100 each, harnesses are around $45 and labor will probably be a few hundred.

Btw there's a known issue with rusting of the knock sensors so when they're replaced make sure they follow the TSB and put in the silicone dam to stop future water intrusion which should keep you from needing to do the repair again in the future.


I agree that it’s really strange to have both failing at the same time. I wonder if some other condition causes the engine to think the sensors are bad.

If you do replace them, they’re only $36.79 each for the ACDelco sensors on rockauto.com.

When I looked into this a bit, it seems the 8.1L has the knock sensors on the outside of the engine below the exhaust manifolds so the water intrusion isn’t an issue there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1V5Gb0VRFM

Also on Amazon:

Sensor

Connector



Wow, great info. Thank you.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Loss of power when driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.