RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RV Hot Skin (Exterior electrification)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Hot Skin (Exterior electrification)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has nothing to do with the ground wire or using an extension cord. The outlet that you are plugged into is miswired, where the not/neutral wires are reversed on the outlet.

EVEN IF EVERYTHING IS GROUNDED PROPERLY, PLUGGING INTO A MISWIRED OUTLET WILL STILL SHOCK YOU WHEN YOU TOUCH THE RV.

Best practice is to use a tester as shown above before you plug in anywhere. If the tester doesn't go green, don't plug in.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

mikim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electricity-why-do-hot-skin-shocks-occur/

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

This has nothing to do with the ground wire or using an extension cord. The outlet that you are plugged into is miswired, where the not/neutral wires are reversed on the outlet.

EVEN IF EVERYTHING IS GROUNDED PROPERLY, PLUGGING INTO A MISWIRED OUTLET WILL STILL SHOCK YOU WHEN YOU TOUCH THE RV.

I've been an electrician for 38 years. Please post an elementary drawing showing how reversed hot and neutral cause the metal chassis of the trailer to become electrified. IT CANNOT.

What he has is a hot wire touching the metal of the coach (neither hot or neutral touch the coach in normal operation because they are insulated) and since the ground wire connection is also missing he/she gets a shock.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

I've been an electrician for 38 years. Please post an elementary drawing showing how reversed hot and neutral cause the metal chassis of the trailer to become electrified. IT CANNOT.

What he has is a hot wire touching the metal of the coach (neither hot or neutral touch the coach in normal operation because they are insulated) and since the ground wire connection is also missing he/she gets a shock.

Amen!!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/21 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

When something is leaking to ground but turned off there is no leak until the RV is powered up with reverse polarity. That is where this comes from. Frequently it is the fridge or water heater. And yes combined with a bad ground.

Anyway how about share what direction the OP should look first.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

When something is leaking to ground but turned off there is no leak until the RV is powered up with reverse polarity. That is where this comes from. Frequently it is the fridge or water heater. And yes combined with a bad ground.

Anyway how about share what direction the OP should look first.

Sure go to Post #3 fix that first. Then if the ground path is properly fixed (OP has the skill set to know this?) a breaker will trip in the coach so he can narrow down where he looks for the hot wire touching the metal chassis.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the ground is fixed between the source and the rig's distribution panel, the problem will disappear.
Some leakage could be induced into the skin and chassis.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

If the ground is fixed between the source and the rig's distribution panel, the problem will disappear.
I would express it a different way: The problem will be masked and waiting for the next open ground connection.

ie The ground fault and the open ground should both be fixed. Fixing the open ground first is OK, but follow up plugging into a GFCI.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

sgtsteve

Camp Hill, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all who have written on the topic!

I had an electrician come out and test the outlet the trailer was plugged into. The result was there is a proper ground in the outlet. On another note, when the "electrification" occurred, no circuit breaker was thrown, not in the house and not in the trailer. There is no electrification when the trailer is not plugged in. The garage outlet is not a GFI so I am going to get that changed. I am going to get my own electric voltage tester so I can touch it to the outer skin as I conduct more tests. I'll update everyone as I continue the investigation.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

That's a new one on me after 38 years.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Hot Skin (Exterior electrification)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.