|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tag axle for truck camper rigs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don’t know why it’s a a bad idea with lots of issues, you haven’t been reading the thread. If you read the article, it’s not an inexpensive idea.

Funny that some of you compare this poor design supported by the hitch to axles attached to the frame like when the axles are fairly close together like on a dual/triple axle trailer.

Then, there is the generic problems with tag axles even if his design wasn’t so bad.

I get you trying to defend this poor design if you are his friend. Good on you for that. Unfortunately, this is a tough crowd. He would be better off the supporters just let this thread die. Then, those that didn’t know any better might consider buying one.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EYEMLOST wrote:

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG;

If tag/trailer axle's wheels/tires spin independently, wouldn't that eliminate tire scrubbing?

My HMMWV trailer is that way; with torsion bars for suspension.

No, each tire moving independently reduces or eliminates scrubbing for single axle setups, where the inside tire needs to cover a shorter distance in a turn than the outer tire. That still applies to each axle independently here, but you introduce another pivot point that essentially requires the tag axle to drag sideways in order track with the drive axle. Since tires don't roll sideways (they aren't spheres, though that would be interesting), you end up with scrub.

Next time you see a tandem axle fifth wheel making a sharp turn, watch the rear axle. It's extremely obvious in that setup. Note that each wheel has its own hub assembly and the rotation happens there, so each tire can move at a different speed than its partner.

You don't need torsion axles, by the way, to have each wheel turn at independent speeds. Just about every setup does that - and that's also why they have open diffs in most cars.

* This post was last edited 07/23/21 12:25pm by n0arp *   View edit history

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The brochure says they use boat wheels for the application and they look pretty close to the wheels I have on my boat trailer.
My tires are rated for 1380 lb

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

The brochure says they use boat wheels for the application and they look pretty close to the wheels I have on my boat trailer.
My tires are rated for 1380 lb

One of the photos is clear enough to see it is running a Kenda Loadstar 205/65r10 tire, rated for 1100lbs. It looks like there are other models with larger tires.

* This post was edited 07/23/21 12:42pm by n0arp *

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

All multiple-axle trailers do it all the time.
Than nobody expect trailer tires to last 100,000 miles.

mkirsch wrote:

Millions of tandem axle trucks on the road every day. Do they replace the tires with every trip?

Note that tandem axles are placed right next to each other, and the tire sizes are equivalent. These are widely separated from the rear axle and so small there's little flex in the rubber to allow the side movement.

You can see how tire flex helps here.

* This post was edited 07/23/21 01:01pm by stevenal *

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/21 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is obviously a market for the "park princess" triple slide camper.
So, yes, pavement only models are used by many people.

Just like many Jeep Wrangler owners are "mall crawlers". The market is very much alive and well for that sort of thing.

A tag axle puts within reach, the larger camper for those who prefer spacious luxury. Not all truck campers are off-road boon dockers.

The versatile pickup truck gets a nice add-on with a tag axle.

(That said, there will always be users that miss-manage and abuse equipment.)

EYEMLOST

See Above

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:

EYEMLOST wrote:

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG;

If tag/trailer axle's wheels/tires spin independently, wouldn't that eliminate tire scrubbing?

My HMMWV trailer is that way; with torsion bars for suspension.

No, each tire moving independently reduces or eliminates scrubbing for single axle setups, where the inside tire needs to cover a shorter distance in a turn than the outer tire. That still applies to each axle independently here, but you introduce another pivot point that essentially requires the tag axle to drag sideways in order track with the drive axle. Since tires don't roll sideways (they aren't spheres, though that would be interesting), you end up with scrub.

Next time you see a tandem axle fifth wheel making a sharp turn, watch the rear axle. It's extremely obvious in that setup. Note that each wheel has its own hub assembly and the rotation happens there, so each tire can move at a different speed than its partner.

You don't need torsion axles, by the way, to have each wheel turn at independent speeds. Just about every setup does that - and that's also why they have open diffs in most cars.

Ah; very good point!

That makes sense. [emoticon]

1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now, this is what I call correct tag axle

[image]

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t see a tag axle Kayteg - those are steerable and hydraulic levelling trailer axles. Being I n Scotland there is a good chance the prime mover (the “sem eye”) has a tag.

That’s a cool image.

I always thought steering trailer axles would be useful on a RV trailer so the axles could be back where they belong vs the teeter totter arrangement.

A guy would need a Nuff Truck to hold up the other end.

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"After a 10-mile or so drive, if you are not satisfied, I take it back off and issue you a refund (that has never happened)."

Sounds like a reasonable policy

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tag axle for truck camper rigs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.