|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long Term Stays

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice above. I'm much more conservative about letting gas engines sit since the gas might dry up or gum up. Diesel no problem.

Batteries if not on shore power certainly will have drains that cannot be turned off like smoke detectors, computers etc. That is why I installed full disconnect switches right on the battery posts which limited the drain to battery self discharge.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown's advice to relax and stay put during long term stays is probably OK for a diesel rig like his. However, it is not necessarily good advice for a gasser.

Letting gas Motorhomes sit for long periods is not good for them. They need to not only be started up, but driven and moved at least every month or two. Reason I say it needs to be driven is, the brakes, tires, axles need to be exercised, too. It would be a good idea on those 'exercise' trips, to put a few gallons of fresh fuel in it, too. Gasoline when it sits for long periods tends to become stale and lead to other issues (especially in a carbureted engine like nearly all gas generator have).

If I was staying on a site for long term stay, I'd try to make it a point about once a month to break camp and take the rig for a good 15-20 minute drive. I'd suggest using that time to put some fuel in it, maybe get some LP gas if needed, and run/exercise the generator in that time, too. The generator needs to be exercised, too, to keep fresh fuel going through it.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How long do cars sit on dealer lots? Yea....just trickle charge the battery.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Bruce Brown's advice to relax and stay put during long term stays is probably OK for a diesel rig like his. However, it is not necessarily good advice for a gasser.

Letting gas Motorhomes sit for long periods is not good for them. They need to not only be started up, but driven and moved at least every month or two. Reason I say it needs to be driven is, the brakes, tires, axles need to be exercised, too. It would be a good idea on those 'exercise' trips, to put a few gallons of fresh fuel in it, too. Gasoline when it sits for long periods tends to become stale and lead to other issues (especially in a carbureted engine like nearly all gas generator have).

If I was staying on a site for long term stay, I'd try to make it a point about once a month to break camp and take the rig for a good 15-20 minute drive. I'd suggest using that time to put some fuel in it, maybe get some LP gas if needed, and run/exercise the generator in that time, too. The generator needs to be exercised, too, to keep fresh fuel going through it.

Two of my tractors are a gassers (1957 Allis D17, 1966 Massey 1100), and so is my lawn mower(JD X475) - same advice.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well if you want to be safe change oil just before you park and again when you hit the road (Never did that but once, long story on that one)
Main engine unlike generator does NOT need monthly run

Generator needs regular exercise (Once a month, 1/2 hour 1/2 load or more in both half cases) for assorted reasons. some electronic some mechanical
The carbureted engines (Generator) are more senisitive to sitting than injected engines ..> You might want to add the prper Seaforam to the fuel tank for fuel stability.

Since the main engine can not be properly loaded. Running it even at fast idle is not good for it. The thing need to get up to full operating temp under load (Same for generator engine) when running. It needs to work, not just idle.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/21 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of years ago I worked with mobile RV mechanic getting a 2004 gas Ford V-10 powered motorhome ready for a new owner after it had sat unmoved for 9 years on a leased site in Florida. We replaced the engine battery, coolant, and belts, drained and replaced the oil and filter, bled and refilled the brake fluid, and cranked the engine over a few times by hand. The rig had been parked with a full fuel tank, and the fuel had been topped off periodically as exercising the generator drew it down. When we first turned the key, it spun over slowly a time or two before getting up to speed and firing up as if it had just been shut down. The disk brakes were a little "crunchy" starting out, but cleared up fairly quickly. The first run was just a few miles down the road to a local tire dealer for new rubber, and the grunts and groans from the suspension had pretty much worked themselves out by the time we got there. We did advise the new owner to add a good quality fuel conditioner to the first couple of fill ups and have the unit checked further by a mechanic before making any lengthy trips, but the rig ran really well after sitting still for 9 years.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

oliviaolivv0101

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Running for a few minutes causes more moisture in the engine due to condensation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long Term Stays
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.