RV.Net Open Roads Forum: EV's I know there are folks better versed than me in here

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> EV's I know there are folks better versed than me in here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep seeing articles like this LA buses 3/4 million dollar vehicles that dont/cant work.
Other articles showing that in hilly areas, the brakes dont work in part from attempts to capture energy stopping function, other cities having problems too, Minnesota
To invest big bucks into one as a personal vehicle , without the ability like these cities to bring back a retired Diesel to handle operation while the electrics are being continually repaired just seems crazy for all but the insanely wealthy.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EV delivery trucks were common about 100 years ago. They worked fine then so we just need to reinvent the wheel and other parts.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/21 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes you can find some issues if you go looking for them. You can find even more boring success stories too but they don't make for exciting print.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/30/tesla-mod........l-3-police-cars-faster-roi-police-chief/

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EV's are the future......

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Busses in both stories appear to be from same company. It started up in 2017. Sounds like they got in over their heads.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/21 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This sounds like an issue with logistics (ie: getting parts).

For low speed limited range local use where it can go back to a yard and charge overnight, electric is great. That fits in well with local delivery (fed ex) or city busses.

For RVs where most people get out on the freeway and do a few hours of driving then staying someplace with limited electric, we are a lot further away.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is an interesting article in the recent Car and Driver magazine where they had a thousand mile race with 9 electric cars. The speed limit was mandated so the winner would be determined by charging efficiency and network availability. Some vehicles spent half as much time charging as they did driving and that didn't even include overnight charging which was not counted.

It is coming though. Mercedes just announced they plan to transition to full electric production by 2025 which is a little over 3 years away. Don't know if it includes their big rig models but the article said it included all model lines. Doubtful if the European or domestic infrastructure will be ready by then.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Yes you can find some issues if you go looking for them. You can find even more boring success stories too but they don't make for exciting print.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/30/tesla-mod........l-3-police-cars-faster-roi-police-chief/

One thing I'm not sure of for police use is idle time sitting on the roadside running heat or AC. Either watching traffic, surveillance, or completing paperwork there is a lot of time spent in the vehicle, if the car is driven maybe 50% of the shift, and just sitting with the climate control running, will a single charge cover a full shift?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

time2roll wrote:

One thing I'm not sure of for police use is idle time sitting on the roadside running heat or AC. Either watching traffic, surveillance, or completing paperwork there is a lot of time spent in the vehicle, if the car is driven maybe 50% of the shift, and just sitting with the climate control running, will a single charge cover a full shift?
This is so different from gasoline it is hard to get a handle on it. The climate control uses very little power when you are not idling a 400 hp gas engine to drive 5 hp of accessories. I believe it stated they run two shifts between charges and a depleted battery has never been an issue.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume there will be a dramatic increase in the electric grid capacity to handle all this new stuff. Some Hydroelectric generating dams in the west may soon be out of water. Just musing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> EV's I know there are folks better versed than me in here
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.