RV.Net Open Roads Forum: ALL NEW Onan Cummins 2500i inverter generator - I LOVE IT!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> ALL NEW Onan Cummins 2500i inverter generator - I LOVE IT!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I FINALLY got around to getting this thing installed.
Three words describe it:
IT IS AWESOME!

Prior to removing the HGJBB generator I did a bunch of sound testing with it. I duplicated those sound tests with the HGLAA while I was putting some break-in run time on it.

I am very happy with how much quieter it is and the lack of vibration compared to the old model. (HGJBB)

First start-up and sound testing.

Previously:

Unboxing

* This post was last edited 09/12/21 08:15am by deltabravo *   View edit history

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redesigning the mounting for the new one was very time consuming. Two of the generator mounting holes were not in the same location as the frame cross members that the generator needed to be bolted to. The frame members were not lined up for the old generator either, Northwood simply drilled through the cross member and into the base pan of the generator with self tapping screws instead of using threaded bolts to use the proper mounting holes on the old gen.

The new generator did line up with one frame cross member, but not the other one. I cut some large thick pieces of aluminum to make an offset mounting adapter plate so I could use the proper mounting holes in the new gen. That was the only major "gotcha" moment.

There were several minor issues:
The original 24" propane line was 2" too short. I replaced it with a 36"
I am still dealing with the exhaust pipe. Had I kept the pipe from the old generator, this wouldn't be an issue, but when I sold the old generator, I didn't plan on needing the old tail pipe, so I included it with the sale of the old gen.

The pipe I am temporarily using is from the travel trailer that this generator was originally intended to be installed in. It doesn't drop down low enough, so I need to replace it once I get the correct parts.

* This post was last edited 07/25/21 09:18am by deltabravo *   View edit history

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to do quite a bit of modifying to mount my new Onan 2500 that replaced the original one.

The exhaust came out of the new one kiddy corner to the original one.

Mine is totally enclosed.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I had to do quite a bit of modifying to mount my new Onan 2500 that replaced the original one.

Is yours the new inverter model too?

It's been a challenge finding the correct "drop length" for a new exhaust pipe for mine.

Cummins Onan has a nice accessory catalog with part numbers, but when I call and try to order the parts I get a really stupid answer... they say "that part number is an Indiana part number, it's not in our system" . GEE, that's helpful!

I tracked one down finally and it shipped. I need to go get it from Fed-Ex today.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm working on the exhaust today, although at 6am, its 77 degrees in Spokane, WA.

I've NEVER seen it that warm this early. Last night I tried working on it some and the heat got overwhelming, so I gave up. When I went to bed around 9pm, it was 92 degrees out still.

* This post was edited 09/12/21 08:13am by deltabravo *

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Is yours the new inverter model too?

Nope. [emoticon] I bought it back in Sept 2019.

I never heard the original one run. When I took it to get fixed it only had 202 hours on it and the stator had failed. I was told it needed a new stator, that is no longer available and a new rotor. There's a company in CA that would rebuilt my stator but it would take a few months to get it back. The repair would have cost me around $1500.

So with the generator being nearly 25 years old with only 202 hours on it and suffering from a major failure I opted for a new one.

I traded the old one in on the new one and they fixed my old one and sold it. When he sold it he got paid for the repair and he gave me the difference, just over $400. [emoticon] I thought that they treated me extremely fair. I'd recommend them to anyone one.

[image]

[image]

Here's my new one. I had an exhaust shop alter my old exhaust to work with this one.

[image]

The bottom of the enclosure for the generator is closed unlike the newer Lance campers (from what I've been told) which helps cut down on the noise level. Its quieter than my friends portable "quiet" generators.

I have 84 hours on this generator and I'm extremely happy with it. I do wish it was the new inverter generator though. [emoticon]

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

When I went to bed around 9pm, it was 92 degrees out still.

Its 10:00 AM and 94 degrees here. [emoticon] [emoticon]

NVR2L82AV8

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/21 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo, can you include the part numbers of the Cummings accessories you needed (exhaust etc.) to complete your install? Or, even links to the pages you found?

I'm sure as time goes on this post will be referenced hundreds of times as folks upgrade to the Onan 2500 HGLAA like me [emoticon] Thanks!!!

2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

AISURFFISH

BERLIN MARYLAND

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new AF1150 HAS IT STANDARD NOW. That is due to the inability to getting the regular 2500

That new 2500i is revolutionary for truck campers with the propane generators.

2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab
Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

NVR2L82AV8

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those interested in the upgrade I just checked with Cummings last week. It's a 20 Week lead time for non OEM customers. They are pumping these out to the OEMs as fast as they can to meet manufacturer demand. You can find them on-line for about a grand more (if you want it quick) than you'll pay to wait.

I put my name on the order list to replace my Onan 2.5 KVD LP Genny which, interestingly enough, the control board failed on coming back from Jellystone last week. Just FYI if your Genny only runs when you have to hold the "start" button down you've had a control board failure. I intend to just drop mine from the camper to replace the board since trying to unscrew the four cover screws that seem to be torqued down by a gorrilla at the factory have been unsuccessful....but I digress.

From my research, here are some of the Part #s you'll need to make the swap:

Part Number Description
A063N9302.5HGLAA-8304
0155-2325Alum Steel TailpipeKit
0155-2449 Exhaust Resonator
0155-1015 Pipe Clamp

The LP input line is on the opposite side of the current model, same with the power. Additionally, the exhaust exits the Driver side vs the passenger side on the current model. Hence the additional Muffler and accessory tailpipe kit. I intend to install the resonator to see if it makes an additional reduction in Db without degrading Genny performance.

* This post was edited 09/11/21 02:28pm by NVR2L82AV8 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> ALL NEW Onan Cummins 2500i inverter generator - I LOVE IT!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.