|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Providing my own WiFi

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

Stand alone MiFi hotspot 4G does not work any better than my old Samsung phone when connecting to it.

It's mostly about the plan you get.

TRUE !

Most cell phone plans can really gouge you once you hit a limit. Nomad has no limit and can go month-to-month billing.

Antennas work if the device is designed to use one and the antenna is designed for the correct frequency. The big win for an external antenna is the ability to mount it higher above the ground.

* This post was edited 07/26/21 02:52am by theoldwizard1 *

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm working from home, which is now in a campground.

Primary internet is OTR Mobile, which is "unlimited", it is capped at 300G.

Secondary for work, is my work hot spot, which in our permanent location is questionable signal.

Tertiary for work and secondary for personal use is personal phone hotspot.

4th level is campground wifi, which us unusable at all in the summer. It's marginally useful after Labor day, but not on the weekends.

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/21 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much data will you use ? The cellphone ( most ) will put low data cap on hotspot data on your “unlimited “ phone The dedicated hotspot will cost more but give you multiple WiFi connections tv laptop etc.” Verizon “ works well for you now but are you traveling ? How’s sprint/ t mobile? For example …. FMCA. Offers members 50 bucks a month for truly unlimited hotspot ! lease the hotsopt for 40 bucks upfront .
calix institute for and annual 400$ donation will give you a truly unlimited-free hotspot (that works out to 33 bucks a month). After you buy the hotspot .
there are many more solutions. How much do you need and want to spend ?
Btw we never used campground WiFi in the last 5 years full time . We have att on the phone 40g ea hotspot. And an old att hotspot Mobley plan long gone - 23 bucks .. Verizon ( no longer avail ) 65 a month unlimited hotspot. We no longer use satellite for tv and stream youtube tv with others and my DW zoom business calls for well over 200 -300g a month.

* This post was edited 07/25/21 06:24pm by jorbill2or *

Bill

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/21 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jorbill2or wrote:

How much data will you use ? The cellphone ( most ) will put low data cap on hotspot data on your “unlimited “ phone The dedicated hotspot will cost more but give you multiple WiFi connections tv laptop etc.” Verizon “ works well for you now but are you traveling ? H

We've found the costs are generally lower using the phone. The dedicated hotspot device needs it's own plan and we already have phones.

We can connect multiple devices to a phone, just like a dedicated device.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

W We would like one device or program to provide WiFi for both phones.

I am confused by this statement. Why would you bring on another device to provide WIFI for your phones and not just use your data plan? You already have both major carriers to get better coverage so it would probably be better upgrade your data plans (if needed) rather than get a third line from a single carrier.

If you want WIFI for your PC's, my wife and I cruised for 6 months both working full-time on our laptops using my Samsung and AT&T unlimited data as a WIFI hotspot. I was also in conference calls at least 4 hours a day while we used the hotspot. I did need to keep the phone plugged in the entire time we worked (and at night while it monitored our anchor for drifting)!

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Canada, there are no cell plans with unlimited data for NON phone devices.

Bell has one for phones which allows unlimited tethering.

Telus has unlimited data for phones which does NOT allow unlimited tethering. When the high speed data is gone, tethering is not allowed.

SaskteL has two plans for phones which include unlimited data and tethering. One is throttled at 540 kps and the other more expensive throttles at 2 mps. I find that sometimes the 2mps is much preferred.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a with a lot of things, the answer is - it depends. If you are planning to use multiple devices, working, streaming tv/movies etc I would definitely opt for a dedicated hot spot with an unlimited data plan. If you are just browsing, checking email etc, I am sure your phone's hot spot will suffice.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/21 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

As a with a lot of things, the answer is - it depends. If you are planning to use multiple devices, working, streaming tv/movies etc I would definitely opt for a dedicated hot spot with an unlimited data plan. If you are just browsing, checking email etc, I am sure your phone's hot spot will suffice.

Why?

Everything you say can be handled by the phones just fine...at least it has for us.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Why?

Everything you say can be handled by the phones just fine...at least it has for us.

Well, if you don't know than I doubt I can explain it in a way you will get it. Tons of articles describing the superior capabilities of a hotspot over a phone acting like a hot spot. Speed, reliability, the ability to receive a weaker signal and re-broadcast, ability to add an antenna, multiple devices, security, etc, etc. A phone is a phone that has limited hot spot abilities. A hotspot is a device dedicated to the purpose. I am glad it works for you. Someone with much higher demands - like myself who works remote - prefer a dedicated device.

* This post was edited 07/27/21 07:52am by way2roll *

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So taking the most oft suggested way of creating a hot spot, we decided to go with using the phone. We went to the closest Verizon store and the sales guy finally got it staight and found we all ready had 4 GB of data to use and a hot spot in my plan. It did take about 60 seconds for him to set it up and send us merrily on our way back to the campground.

When I bought my phone, I did so to have bluetooth to use with my hearing aids. I never discussed the features of the plan with the sales guy as all I wanted was to be able to hear phone conversations.

So thanks again for jumping in with suggestions, it helped a lot. Now to determin how much data we will be using and upgrade my plan if needed.

Thanks again.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Providing my own WiFi
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.