|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Still Having Problems With TC and Truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 02:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

That would depend on where you are and what year/brand you have. On ebay, I saw some as low as $450. I would buy a takeoff since there are plenty of them from people changing to flatbeds.

Currently in Colorado traveling cross country.

I can’t do this myself since I’m traveling and have nowhere to do it.

It’s a 2002 Ram. Maybe I just do it when I get back in the fall?

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flatbed dealers quite often have an inventory of new factory pickup bed take-off’s

Just doing a web search for “Colorado used pickup beds” came up with this. I would think a dealer like this that claims to have “a large inventory of New factory take off truck beds for Chevrolet, Dodge and Ford trucks” would have the ability to get your old bed off and a new one installed quicker than you could do it yourself. Pickup beds aren’t really hard to remove, but on a rusty truck like yours, the hardest part may very well be getting the old bolts removed.

Master craft Truck Equipment Englewood, CO

Salvage yards would be another source, though I would expect those beds to be used, and less expensive.

[emoticon][emoticon]

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

your bed probably will be the same as 2002-2008. I bet not many of them sitting in flat bed stores anymore. Is the bed failing because of Rust? Are you over tightening the fast guns?

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rusty???? What?? I don’t have a speck of rust on here. None. Zero. I don’t use my vehicles in places it ices, snows or has salt on the roads. The bed has been getting crushed from the weight of the TC over all the awful roads throughout this country.

No, I don’t over tighten my Fastguns. Tightened as specified, using the little o ring indicator.

The bed just can’t take getting airborne from unmarked speed bumps, potholes that rattle your teeth out, poor transitions on the roads from flat road to bridge, etc.

The roads are so bad I go through front end components too and even had a front wheel fly off from a huge hole in the road. Broke my front end.

It’s the roads and thousands and thousands of miles on them.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, sorry. I thought this was all caused from rust. I guess I have your situation confused with another member’s.

In that case, I’d be reluctant to replace the bed with another factory bed. Maybe a flatbed is in order

[emoticon][emoticon]

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Oh, sorry. I thought this was all caused from rust. I guess I have your situation confused with another member’s.

In that case, I’d be reluctant to replace the bed with another factory bed. Maybe a flatbed is in order

[emoticon][emoticon]

No worries. I just get a little excitable. Appreciate the help and ideas.

Hmmmm. I’ve been intrigued by a flatbed setup. They look kinda weird since the TC is made for a standard bed. Do people usually build some boxes around the edges or something for looks?

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not seeing OP’s sig for the TC setup in question…

If "the bed is getting crushed from the weight of the TC" then perhaps the truck and camper are mismatched- i.e. too heavy of a camper for the truck or not enough truck for the camper on it… especially if components are breaking.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

I am not seeing OP’s sig for the TC setup in question…

If "the bed is getting crushed from the weight of the TC" then perhaps the truck and camper are mismatched- i.e. too heavy of a camper for the truck or not enough truck for the camper on it… especially if components are breaking.

That’s my fear.

It’s kind of mismatched.

Ram 2500 with Dana Axle, differential cooling fins, extra leaf spring kit, air bags/shocks, aftermarket high load wheels, load range H commercial regroovable tires, exhaust brake, 6 speed manual heavy duty transmission, Cummins turbo diesel, edge performance computer, mods to the front “tower” area that holds the front of the bed up. These crushed and I fixed them by using blocking in place of the flimsy sheet metal. Maybe that’s what I need to do with the rear areas that are crushing?

Arctic Fox TC

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

I’m at about 150,000 miles, nearly all with the TC in the bed. Should I expect these problems after 150,000 miles of bone rattling holes and bumps?

A properly set-up truck/ TC combo should last this duration (and more!)

Respectfully, could driving habits be in play? The reason I ask this is because of (words to the effect) ... "getting airborne."

This is quite disconcerting to read. A truck and camper should not be getting airborne. Perhaps slow down a bit?

...not accusing, just saying.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

NO ISSUES with the mounts. Please show me where I said there were.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30135864.cfm

HadEnough wrote:

Issues with the bed crushing were CAUSED by the roads and thousands and thousands of miles.

Perhaps on the rear, but the issues with the front of your bed crushing was due to the hack job installation of your tie downs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Still Having Problems With TC and Truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.