RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: To buy a generator or not...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To buy a generator or not...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will not regret buying a generator that you can also use at home. We had a genny that also sucked propane never again.
I would suggest a Westinghouse inverter 2500 watts.
It is fairly quiet and is definitely dependable. It is 2500 watts surge and 2200 watts running. It is about $550 and weights about 45 pounds. It should start and run your AC. Look at the others they do not provide 2200 running watts or 2500 surge watts.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I would go Harbor Freight 3500 or Champion 3400 with remote electric start.

Are there designated generator hours?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/21 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned, the first thing is to find out the generator rules. Some places let you run it all day, others limit you to two 2-hour periods each day (usually around breakfast and dinner times). That will determine if a generator will be useful or not.

As this is your second reserved trip where weather is a potential issue, I do suggest you do your reasearch on the average weather for an area and time frame BEFORE making reservations.

Campgrounds along I-5 and Hwy 99 are usually hot during the day and night - due to the mountains on either side, they do not get the nightly breezes that drop the temps overnight. For summer camping, I recommend going up into the Sierras or to the coast. The daytime temps will get hot, but nights tend to be very cool.

Stay out of the foothills and the I-5 stretch until October through April. During the off season, they are cool and fairly empty.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see different starting point might apply for the question.
Camping at the lake, you will sit at the lake during day hours, when CA has nice feature of nights getting cold.
I've been camping for 20 years at Union lake in Sierra and at 4300' elevation I actually removed AC and generator from 1 of my motorhomes as they were dead weigh. But I also had shaded spots most of the time.
On other hand, lot of my CA friends bought generators not having any RV.
PGE making pre-emptive power shut downs did create quite a situation.

* This post was edited 07/26/21 04:23pm by Kayteg1 *

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One other factor to consider is air quality due to wildfires. It's (another) bad fire season in California, so you may need to close up the windows and run the A/C to keep cool, and may end up needing to use the A/C more than you expect even if it cools down in the evenings. Air quality can vary dramatically from hour to hour, you could be in relatively clear air in the afternoon, then have unhealthy air by evening.

I'd bring along an air purifier to run in the RV, but with young children and the number of active fires, I'd even consider cancelling the trip.

Here's a good source for air quality information:

https://www.iqair.com/us/usa/california/siskiyou

They do make forecasts for a week in advance, but I haven't found them to be very accurate for more than a day or two out, so even if the air looks good (or bad) for your trip in the forecast, it may not turn out to be as forecast.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If don't want to invest in something you won't use that much,I might look into just renting one. Around here you can rent a Honda for about $250 a week from Home Depot,there may be better deals where you live.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

I would suggest a Westinghouse inverter 2500 watts.
It is fairly quiet and is definitely dependable. It is 2500 watts surge and 2200 watts running. It is about $550 and weights about 45 pounds. It should start and run your AC. Look at the others they do not provide 2200 running watts or 2500 surge watts.

Not a lot of reviews on this unit, but all have been very positive !

This is the ONLY small portable generator that fits my "sweet spot", 20A continuous. I don't know why other manufacturers haven't move into this spot.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am now using with good results a Firman Inverter 2000i generator I bought on sale at Costco for $350.00 early this year. It has the econo quiet mode, RV receptable plus 120 V AC plus and a USB for charging laptop and phone and parallel cable kit. Before that I had a Champion 3500 with same bells and whistles. Very handy critters to have on camping and fishing trips.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

I am now using with good results a Firman Inverter 2000i generator I bought on sale at Costco for $350.00 early this year. It has the econo quiet mode, RV receptable plus 120 V AC plus and a USB for charging laptop and phone and parallel cable kit. Before that I had a Champion 3500 with same bells and whistles. Very handy critters to have on camping and fishing trips.

Is this the one you are referring to?

https://bityl.co/82Afhttps://bityl.co/82Af

If it will run the AC, looks like a pretty good option. Could always just buy it and leave it in the box then return it if we just don't end up using it. Would be nice to have around the house but reality is we live in suburbia so power outages are rare and short lived for us.

It isn't that I am opposed to spending the money for a nice generator to have around but kind of already spent my extra spending money on a set of Torquelift Glow Steps. Hard to spend another $500 to $1000 without the wallet squealing...

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option:

Assuming smoke and generator hours are acceptable, Ask to rent or borrow a generator from a fellow TC'er for a week.

Lake Siskiyou can be a fun place for kids. If I recall, many of the unpowered sites are short on shade. Some day trips to nearby hatchery, rail museum, etc. may mitigate the heat of the day.

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To buy a generator or not...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.