RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Trekkers Alert: If you're a Star Trek fan...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Trekkers Alert: If you're a Star Trek fan...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Near the Georgia/Florida state line in Kingsland, GA are the Neutral Zone Studios that recreate the sets of the Original Star Trek series.

Neutral Zone Studios.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to go into full nerd mode here and take exception with the use of Trekkers.

That article only shows TOS sets, which makes the fans Trekkies, not Trekkers.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I have to go into full nerd mode here and take exception with the use of Trekkers.

That article only shows TOS sets, which makes the fans Trekkies, not Trekkers.

Fascinating. Logically-speaking, Trekkers and Trekkies have existed simultaneously in parallel universes since the beginning of TOS. Trekkers were/are the science and slide rule wielding engineers and Nasa employees who helped advise TOS on the science used in the story-lines. That tradition continued with TNG, DS9, Enterprise and the various movies therein.

Trekkies were all the rest of the fan-base who dress up as Romulans, Klingons, Khan and whoever else they admire.

If you disagree that's fine. I won't get into a Kirk-fu, fist-fight about it. [emoticon]

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NERD FIGHT!!!! [emoticon]

It might be a regional thing too. I've been to a couple few conventions in my day, and the distinction I learned was Trekkies = TOS and Trekkers = TNG & later.

My conventions were typically at the Pasadena Civic, which is close enough to Cal Tech to consider them to be THE conventions. We also went to Vegas and to a special farewell event in Hollywood for Jimmy Doohan before he got to sick called "Beam Me Up, Scotty". Not a dry eye in the house for that one.

Ready to switch to Ren Faire chat next? [emoticon]

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ty for letting us know. I'm sure that if USA ever opens up to land crossings it will be something to amuse me!

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This COULD end up causing a change of route for our November trip west.

wiskeyVI

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How cool is that!
Thanks for posting this.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

NERD FIGHT!!!! [emoticon]

It might be a regional thing too. I've been to a couple few conventions in my day, and the distinction I learned was Trekkies = TOS and Trekkers = TNG & later.

My conventions were typically at the Pasadena Civic, which is close enough to Cal Tech to consider them to be THE conventions. We also went to Vegas and to a special farewell event in Hollywood for Jimmy Doohan before he got to sick called "Beam Me Up, Scotty". Not a dry eye in the house for that one.

Ready to switch to Ren Faire chat next? [emoticon]

James Doohan was certainly a sad loss as was Leonard Nimoy. May their memories live long and prosper.

Probably is a regional distinction. The definitions I posted were used by those who worked at NASA-Houston and NASA-Huntsville, and Cape Kennedy.

Have only been to one Ren Faire. Herself wasn't into it and where she goes, I tend to go as well. She loves Star Trek and Babylon 5 plus her quilting conventions and star watch parties (telescope enthusiasts). She loves going to historical re-enactments and Dutch Oven Gatherings too.

I'll let you start a thread on where the Ren Faires are since you seem to be more knowledgeable than I am about those.

Perhaps we need threads for the various conventions just as I was posting for the various Dutch Oven Gatherings.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/21 01:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe there also an exact replica Enterprise bridge in Ticonderoga NY

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL -- Was just going to mention that! We've had the Ticonderoga set on our radar for a few years but have not had the chance to go. Either one would be fun for my family....all fans of the TOS.

BTW, William Shatner has actually been to the Ticonderoga NY set and done photo ops...twice I think

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Trekkers Alert: If you're a Star Trek fan...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.