|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Power Sag/Current Issues at Seasonal Site

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ryankenn

kingston

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I never thought about the demands of the Autoformer. The most I draw is about 12A's, so I had hoped that the autoformer even though its "30A" if I never drew close to that it could work from 20A to create my 120V.

I have found a few inverter/chargers but they all feature auto transfer, so if AC is present it wants to use it. I need to fully isolate, so I may need two seperate units to do it. Renogy seems to have a few options, and a good price ($350) for 12V/200Ah batteries. Because I'd be continuously charging I could probably get away with a smaller bank than needing to run on batteries with no charging or small solar charging.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A outback VFXR should do everything you want, including load assistance from the batteries. It will handle voltages as low as 85 volts.

https://www.outbackpower.com/products/inverter-chargers/fxr-vfxr-series

ryankenn

kingston

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only issue with controllers like this is the charge circuit is too robust. This unit, even the smallest can draw 60A AC maximum. Being on a 20A circuit I need to limit how much it draws when charging. Since it can run from a generator of questionable voltage I am going to send them a message to see if that input would be more suitable.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ryankenn wrote:

The only issue with controllers like this is the charge circuit is too robust. This unit, even the smallest can draw 60A AC maximum. Being on a 20A circuit I need to limit how much it draws when charging. Since it can run from a generator of questionable voltage I am going to send them a message to see if that input would be more suitable.

The input draw is adjustable, you can set two different input draws one for utility and one for generator depending on their capacity.

AC Current Settings
The AC current settings, Grid Input AC Limit and Gen Input AC Limit, control the amount of current that the inverter draws from the source. Adjust these settings to match the input circuit breakers.
? The adjustment is meant to protect a generator or source that cannot supply enough current for both charging and loads. If the combined charging and loads exceed the setting, the inverter will reduce its charge rate and give priority to the loads. If the loads exceed this number on their own, the charge rate will be reduced to zero.

* This post was edited 08/01/21 06:49pm by S Davis *

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The other nice thing about the Outback inverters is they are built in three sections, if one burns up you don’t scrap the whole inverter just replace what went bad.

ryankenn

kingston

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh wow those babies are pricey! I guess you get what you pay for.

* This post was edited 08/01/21 08:03pm by ryankenn *

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ryankenn wrote:

Oh wow those babies are pricey! I guess you get what you pay for.

Yes they are, and you need the remote as well.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An autoformer will boost 10%, your 100 volts will become 110. Since 108 volts should be considered the minimum, I would bet that there will be times when your boosted voltage will drop below that.

ryankenn

kingston

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well its been a few weeks of tinkering, and I bought the Hughes Surge Protector with the Bluetooth so I could track the trailer for a full weekend of use.

We average about 12kwh of use in 24 hours. The average current we draw is 8A at about 104-108V. I did some testing and with the A/C on we tried the Microwave and saw the 95V at 17.5A. So its obvious we can't do that, but knowing that I went ahead and ordered the Autoformer. Worst case it doesn't work but Amazon's return policy is so good I am not too worried. While I had the Watchdog I used it on my neighbours trailer. He blows the 20A from time to time (I have not yet). He is drawing about 15.5A with his rooftop A/C on, and when the fridge he has on his deck kicks in he see 30A spikes, which is crazy. I am surprised he doesn't blow it all the time.

I also ordered a Frigidaire 6K Btu which is far quieter than the stock PD unit, and is far more efficient, drawing 4.6A instead of 6.4A the current one does. I did it more for volume than efficiency but every little bit helps. It arrives the 24th I think, so I will at least post up how it does for me.

As an aside, the Watchdog Surge is a very nice unit, very stoutly built compared to the others I've seen. But the phone app is lacking. It keeps track of the total kwh used since on, but has no functions for keeping a log of the voltage/amperage usage, or high and lows when I am not at the trailer. I bought a small $15 Engbird temp sensor for the fridge, and with 2 AAA's and bluetooth it fully logs the temp and can send it to the app when I get back to the trailer. I wish Hughes would do the same for such an expensive unit. I also wish the Autoformer which has surge, also had the bluetooth reporting, because I have to make the decision now whether to keep both which sucks.

ryankenn

kingston

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two weekends with the Autoformer, and wow. Totally transformed our experience on this site. I no longer hear the dips and strains in all of the appliances, our power bricks for phones are no longer red hot, and we can now toast bagels in only 1.5 cycles instead of 3 lol.

Our site the last two weekends has been pretty good, 104 was the lowest I saw, but the lowest I saw inside was 111. I am not sure how it works, but it seems to not attempt to boost unless the pole voltage dips to below about 111-112V, and I never saw any voltage higher at the plug meter than 118V, so I don't seem to have worries it would ever over voltage anything.

I built a wooden enclosure for it with venting top and bottom as I did note it gets a little warm. Never hot, just warm.

I finally was able to switch the fridge back to shore power and it really helped smooth the temps out, both in the fridge and the trailer.

Very happy! Thanks for the help.

As a PS, the park had its worst power weekend ever last weekend because of the heat and humidity, people left angry and lots were flipping breakers 6 times a day. Well this week the campsite across from me said the owner and both Ontario Hydro and a private contractor were onsite doing measurements and the idea is over the next two seasons the power is going to be addressed, so I am glad I didn't dump $2500 into this.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Power Sag/Current Issues at Seasonal Site
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.