RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Power issues 2018 AmericanCoach MidwestPatriot

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Power issues 2018 AmericanCoach MidwestPatriot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Doug, Wondering if you can consult with me again! SO it was a burned out solenoid! So now everything runs much better because we can get power from running the engine! Relief! and magically the generator ran the AC for 5 hours the other day with no issues!

Now my question is, what should I expect from the battery? Should I be able to run the microwave for 2 minutes if I have a fully charged battery (plugged it in over night and then drove 45 minutes to our destination0...Then tried to run the microwave and I get e1 error messages on the inverter panel and it kicks off the power. Is it unrealistic to do much when not using generator, plugged in, or running the engine (praise the lord that now works!).

I'm afraid I have power issues and don't know what do to about them. The Awning won't open at times, plug in some Christmas lights for the kids and the battery is drained.

What is realistic to do when boon docking? Trying to figure out if I have an issue or my expectations are off.

Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/21 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My generator is running my AC fine now...Can you see my recent question about what it is realistic to do when boon docking because it basically seems like I can do hardly anything power related without the power kicking off (E1 messages on the Xantrex Inverter). When the battery is fully charged after being plugged into AC all seem to go well. But for example the other day, the battery was not charged, but I could not get the awning to open, even after driving for 20 minutes and running the generator. baffling battery issues for sure.

Grit dog wrote:

Sprintervanmom wrote:

When you turn on the generator and the AC, the battery gradually loses power (I can watch the voltage dropping) and then the inverter starts giving e1 and e5 error messages and then the voltage drops low enough to shut of the thermostat to the AC.

While not an expert on your particular rv, I have yet to see a RV that the engine alternator does not charge the house batteries underway.
So that's weird, but not your real issue.

The generator should power the Air Con and all other AC outlets/appliances like your microwave as well as charge your house batteries through the converter.
You mention inverter. I doubt your inverter is wired to power a AC (it could be though), but the genny should be the primary source of power.

Do all your other AC appurtenances work?

Oh, and your tech could simply pull a charge lead off your start battery or another power center on the vehicle, through an ACR (auto charging relay) straight to the house batteries. No fooling with electrical systems needed.

If you actually mean inverter, sounds like it IS doing its best to run the AC and battery dies quickly (expected) and your generator isn't working.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF YOU HAVE A GOOD BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the main question. If you CANNOT run the various 12 volt appliances including the Microwave on Inverter, you have a BAD battery/s. Coach, not chassis. Bring me up to speed. Have you EVER replaced the Coach batteries? In normal operation, a fully charged GOOD battery will give you almost 24 hours of self contained operation. On your particular RV. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just went back thru the previous threads. If you have NOT replaced the Coach Lifeline batteries, GET THEM REPLACED. No if ands or buts. Once Lifelines go dead, they are BAD. PERIOD. From your previous posts, the batteries HAVE at times been dead. Lifelines are NOT cheap, BUT they are the BEST batteries for your application and will last years if not allowed to go dead. If you go to another brand AGM battery, you will have to reprogram your Inverter/Charger to correctly charge other brand AGM batteries. Your Inverter/Charger was programmed by Midwest to correctly charge Lifeline brand batteries. Doug

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, on motor homes the fuel pump for the genrator runs off the battery.

For some reason the converter.... does not *OR* the charge module in the inverter is disabled when the genertor is operational (Easy to do on my inverter/charger. don't know yours)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HI again Doug,

I am still strongly considering getting the coach/house battery replaced. It is under the back bumper and it is a Lifeline GPL-8DL. Looks like the battery itself will be around $800 plus the cost of someone changing it out for me.

Before I go that route though, my RV tech guy suggested that my battery might be draining faster than expected because I am leaving the inverter on and that is draining my battery quickly. He said that I only need to turn the inverter on when I use my microwave, induction cooktop, and possibly my TV (he couldn't remember if it is 110 or 12V). Is that correct? Could that be my issue.

He warned that because I have drained my battery so many times because I leave the inverter on (which is what the RV center I bought the vehicle from told me to do), it may be time for a new battery anyway.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Kakhi

dougrainer wrote:

Just went back thru the previous threads. If you have NOT replaced the Coach Lifeline batteries, GET THEM REPLACED. No if ands or buts. Once Lifelines go dead, they are BAD. PERIOD. From your previous posts, the batteries HAVE at times been dead. Lifelines are NOT cheap, BUT they are the BEST batteries for your application and will last years if not allowed to go dead. If you go to another brand AGM battery, you will have to reprogram your Inverter/Charger to correctly charge other brand AGM batteries. Your Inverter/Charger was programmed by Midwest to correctly charge Lifeline brand batteries. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/21 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your TV is 120 volt and runs off the Inverter. I hate to sound off again. REPLACE THE LIFELINE BATTERY/S. NOT doing this just keeps causing you headaches and problems. I advise my customers to NEVER turn the Inverter ON, unless they are going to run Invertered appliances. Otherwise, your 120 Shore Power and Genset will supply the voltage needed to run those appliances. Problem with leaving an Inverter ON, it is usually out of sight and out of mind and when NOT using the RV, it just takes a few days to drain the battery if left ON. Then you have a DEAD coach battery and if a Lifeline Brand, you have just ruined the battery. When Inverter ON and you are driving the RV, the engine Alternator will supply more than enough current to run the Inverter and the TV/Microwave and such. It is when you stop driving and forget you had the Inverter ON that it becomes a problem. Always get in the habit of checking the status of the Inverter daily. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TURN THE INVERTER ON TO UTILIZE THE BATTERY CHARGE FUNCTION OF THE INVERTER/CHARGER. The Inverter/Charger ALWAYS charges when the Shore Power or Genset is supplying 120 power to the RV. Doug

* This post was edited 12/27/21 02:53pm by dougrainer *

Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is very helpful! I am going to print this out and put it by my inverter controller!
Soooo, I only need the inverter on when using the microwave, cooktop and TV when I am not using shore power or using the generator? Any other time?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Inverter converts 12 volt dc to 120 volt AC. So, yes, you only need to turn the Inverter ON when you do NOT have the Genset or the Shore Power connected and you want to run the TV/Microwave/Cooktop. I have never noticed over the years, but you DO have a 120 volt Induction Cooktop in your Midwest? Usually Cook tops are not connected to the Inverter, but Midwest may have done so. I check the cooktop on Shore or Genset and never done so on the Inverter. If you turn the Inverter ON(No shore or genset) and the Cooktop powers up then yes, it is connected to the Inverter. Also, get in the Habit of running your Genset for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour monthly. Even tho it is LP powered, it still needs a Monthly exercise. Doug

Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/21 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you so much Doug!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Power issues 2018 AmericanCoach MidwestPatriot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.