RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Power issues 2018 AmericanCoach MidwestPatriot

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Power issues 2018 AmericanCoach MidwestPatriot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may be a stupid question, but when the interest control panel is on, does that mean the inverter is on? The inverter turns on automatically when I flip on the battery switch and when I start the generator. So I should turn it off in both those cases? Also, I think when I turn the inverter off (hold the off button on the control panel), while the generator is running, I think it turns itself back on?

Thanks again, friend!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you understand what doug said about the INVERTER? It produces 120V AC power FROM the 12v DC battery.
IF you are plugged into shore power or generator is on, you don not and should not be using the inverter. You have an AC power source that is NOT pulling from your battery.
If the inverter is kicking on with the generator on that sounds really strange and not right.
Hope this helps. Maybe you could update if you fixed the initial problem with your battery?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not stupid. I think you maybe confusing the Inverter panel lit up as being ON? HAVE YOU REPLACED THE BATTERY???? If so, turn the engine OFF. Genset OFF. Battery disconnect ON. Now, does your Microwave clock come on and does your TV come on. If so, the Inverter is ON. If not, your Inverter display should have a display. but no power to the Microwave and TV. So which is it? Some early model Midwest models had an Ignition switched wire that when the engine was ON, the Inverter came on to power the entertainment systems. When the engine was OFF, the Inverter went OFF. Also, do you have a switch on the lower dash kick plate left of the steering wheel for your battery disconnect? Doug

Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug, you are the best! Thank you for sticking with me.

I have not replaced the battery but I am trying. Local RV Servicrs around here do not carry lifeline. I think I will order one online (any recommendations on where to buy one from) and then I will have by RV Tech guy install it.

I am in the RV. Engine Off, Unplugged from shore power, GenSet Off and I flip the Battery disconnect ON and the inverter panel lights up and yes, my microwave clock and Blue-ray player are on. So that means the interverter is on and the display in on as well. When I turn the inverter off at the panel, the microwave and DVD go off.

I do not see a switch for battery disconnect to the left of steering wheel. just a panel with a lightening bolt I can open to fuses. there is a button to the left of steering when that is an n with a circle of arrow around it. No idea why that it.

I just confirmed that I turned the GenSet on and about 10 seconds later, the inverter turns on and reads "bul" for bulk charging. when I try to turn it off at the panel it does not turn off and the microwave clock and blue-ray and induction are lit up. I guess that means it is fine to have it one with the generator.

when I turn the engine on, the Inverter panel (and Blu-Ray, Induction, and Microwave clock) do not light up.

my next step is to replace my coach battery, and always keep the inverter off unless I need it or it is on when plugged in and when generator is on.

also, when I plug into shore power the inverter panel (and Blu-Ray, Induction, and Microwave clock) come on and say "bul" and I can't turn it off.

Hoping replacing the coach battery (when I can get my hands on one!) will solve all the E1 and E5 error messages I get when battery is not fully charged (I have no issues then or when plugged in to shore power). and I will only have inverter on when it turns itself on or I must use it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's just a standard 8D battery, correct?
You can buy 8D batteries anywhere that sells or services large equipment. Or any number of sources online.
Doesn't have to be a Lifeline unless you're insistent on buying the most expensive battery you can, which it appears you're hesitant to spend the money, so spend less.

Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@grit dog Doug said that I should go with Lifeline because they are the best and that if I get a different brand the inverter will have to be programmed for that battery. I don’t want to compromise when the quality of this vehicle is high. If it doesn’t matter, I would love to go for a less expensive battery, but it sounds like it matters.

Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The battery is Lifeline GPL-8DL AGM Sealed Battery 12V 255Ah

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I certainly respect Mr Rainers knowledge. So I am interested what would require a special charging voltage or profile for a lifeline vs any other agm battery. Or even a FLA battery I’d think is just a different setting with a slightly different charging voltage.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/22 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Well I certainly respect Mr Rainers knowledge. So I am interested what would require a special charging voltage or profile for a lifeline vs any other agm battery. Or even a FLA battery I’d think is just a different setting with a slightly different charging voltage.

1. You are confusing the model of HER battery with the standard 8D battery. A Lifeline Lifeline GPL-8DL IS NOT a 8D battery. her Lifeline looks like a standard 27 series RV battery and is mounted UNDER the rear of her motorhome(Van Chassis). You have to drop it down to replace it. It has its own Midwest made mount bracket.
2. Lifelines have a specific charge parameter and the Xantrex Inverter/Charger that is installed has a Lifeline charge parameter option for charging the Lifeline battery. IF you change from the Lifeline to another brand AGM, you have to go into the Inverter/Charger programming and change from Lifeline to standard AGM charging. Easy to do, but can be difficult for a novice like the OP. Doug

PS, you are right. That 8D in her model is indeed the 166 lb standard 8D. I believe she has posted the wrong model of her battery.

* This post was edited 01/12/22 09:30am by dougrainer *

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/22 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sprintervanmom wrote:

The battery is Lifeline GPL-8DL AGM Sealed Battery 12V 255Ah

Are you POSITIVE of that Lifeline Model number? Where did you get that model number? I have never seen that model in the Midwest. This is a link to the correct battery. Your 8D stated model weighs 156 pounds. The correct battery weighs 66 lbs. Unless you have a Midwest one off model, where is the battery located? Doug

https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-4ct/

This is the link to the model you state you have.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-8dl/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Power issues 2018 AmericanCoach MidwestPatriot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.