RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Power issues 2018 AmericanCoach MidwestPatriot

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Power issues 2018 AmericanCoach MidwestPatriot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/22 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I definitely have the one I shared. I got that model number GPL-8DL off the battery itself and it is shaped like the picture you sent. 12V 255 amp

I have the American coach Patriot (with a Midwest manual) the seller listed it as a Midwest for the titling.

I’ve found someone that can get this battery in in 2 weeks. Doug, you think I should definitely go with this brand over something less and more readily available? Does this battery be replaced anyway since it’s been since 2018? I’m just hoping my issue is not something else with the inverter or the chassis battery charging the coach battery. I do think it’s the battery though.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/22 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHICH battery pic? The 8D or the 4CT? WHERE is this battery located? Doug

Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/22 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like the 8D pic.

It is under the back bumper.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/22 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then that is what to get. Remember, that battery weighs 166 lbs. Going to be fun replacing it. Doug

Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/22 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point! I’m going with the RV service center to replace this rather than my mobile tech since shipping cost $300 if i was going to buy the battery myself online and have him replace it. It’s good they will have more than one tech on hand to change this out.

Can I ask another question: the inverter control panel and solar control panel both seem to be reporting the voltage the battery is receiving and their numbers are always close to each other. When the chassis battery is running, I’m getting a reading of 12.7-12.9. Is that high enough? Hoping when I replace the coach battery my chassis battery will give it enough juice to be able to run the TV (and inverter). As of now, I get lots of beeping and error messages when running the TV and inverter driving down the road, especially when I didn’t have it plugged into shore power before the trip or I had the inverter on for a bit to run the TV. It seems for now I need to be plugged in, have a fully charged battery, or have the genSet on to successfully run any of the systems used by the inverter (TV, microwave, and induction cooktop). Praying this new battery solves this. I have listed this beautiful vehicle and I want to be able to tell the next owner with confidence that it has absolutely no issues (I will tell them about this and how it is fixed).

Thanks again, Doug!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/22 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you're selling it, now, it is of little consequence, but to clarify, the inverter produces AC power in lieu of the other AC sources (genny or shore power).
Your rig is not or should not pull AC power through the inverter as a higher priority over the other 2 sources.

Also, no way I would buy the most expensive battery just to put a 4 sale sign in the window. My 2c

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/22 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sprintervanmom wrote:

Good point! I’m going with the RV service center to replace this rather than my mobile tech since shipping cost $300 if i was going to buy the battery myself online and have him replace it. It’s good they will have more than one tech on hand to change this out.

Can I ask another question: the inverter control panel and solar control panel both seem to be reporting the voltage the battery is receiving and their numbers are always close to each other. When the chassis battery is running, I’m getting a reading of 12.7-12.9. Is that high enough? Hoping when I replace the coach battery my chassis battery will give it enough juice to be able to run the TV (and inverter). As of now, I get lots of beeping and error messages when running the TV and inverter driving down the road, especially when I didn’t have it plugged into shore power before the trip or I had the inverter on for a bit to run the TV. It seems for now I need to be plugged in, have a fully charged battery, or have the genSet on to successfully run any of the systems used by the inverter (TV, microwave, and induction cooktop). Praying this new battery solves this. I have listed this beautiful vehicle and I want to be able to tell the next owner with confidence that it has absolutely no issues (I will tell them about this and how it is fixed).

Thanks again, Doug!

Your problem is and continues to be----You have a bad battery, So, you will not get an accurate reading until you replace the battery. Please post the results after a new battery. Once you have a new battery, you have a GOOD motorhome. Why sell it? Doug

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/22 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Your problem is and continues to be----You have a bad battery,

I truly believe that concept is lost on the OP, or she feels if she asks the question enough times that the answer may somehow change.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/22 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Since you're selling it, now, it is of little consequence, but to clarify, the inverter produces AC power in lieu of the other AC sources (genny or shore power).
Your rig is not or should not pull AC power through the inverter as a higher priority over the other 2 sources.

Also, no way I would buy the most expensive battery just to put a 4 sale sign in the window. My 2c

Correct. If selling install a Interstate 8D AGM battery. You MUST install an AGM battery due to its mount location. You cannot and do not have access for checking battery water. Doug

Sprintervanmom

Chattanooga, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/22 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may end up having to go with a different battery after all (and save the $$). Buying it online is $820 plus $300 for shipping (if they can get it). A service center here thought they could get one for $890 but when she called back they gave her a new higher price and parts girl has to it track down again. Hmmmm.

If I go with the different battery I hope it will not be a big deal to reprogram the inverter as Doug pointed out.

I’ve concluded that my main issue is that the inverter drains my battery in less than an hour (maybe like 20 minutes or less) and turning on the ignition is not enough to juice up the battery to run the inverter again without error messages blaring (again, my kids trying to watch TV). I should get more then 20 minutes to an hour of inverter running right!? With the solar too?
When I start getting the error messages, I can run the generator to get it to a reasonable level and then the kids can watch Minions in silence all the way home. To sell it in good conscience I am going to replace the battery and pray this allows me to run the inverter without rapidly draining the battery.

Thanks again Doug and GritDog.

I am selling this because my husband has no interest in it and all the service and issues fall on me. It’s too expensive to have as something that just me and the kids like. I wish he liked it more, but he would rather travel and vacation other ways.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Power issues 2018 AmericanCoach MidwestPatriot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.