|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> solar question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/21 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 21' Class B and have portable solar panels; a 120 watt suitcase and another 60 watt I just got. I have some extension cables for them so I can park in the shade and put the panels in the sun. It works well.

brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll throw in my two cents.

When we camped in the wet side of the Pacific Northwest in Winter in the forest in the rain our solar did nothing. However, just about everywhere else it has allowed us to not use our generator except for ac when boondockking. We have 385 watts on the roof and I’m glad we do.

Geewizard

WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar! I have one 100W panel on the roof and (now) two 100W panels in a suitcase I made myself. It works for me very well. I don't use any AC in the TC.

I used this article for my DIY suitcase with some modifications. For example, I attached the hinges so the front part of the panels face each other when close for more protection. And I set up the wiring differently. The price is right.

https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/diy-portable-solar-panel

[image]
[image]
[image]

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
2 Fullriver 100AH AGM batteries
Compressor fridge
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have portable panels because of the places I camp mostly, which are mostly covered with tree's...I hardly ever camp in the sun..It works and gives me something to do when I am not getting firewood...Chasin' the sun..lol

[image]

[image]

Geewizard

WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have about 100' of 4ga cable for my solar panels so I can too chase the sun but stay in the shade. Works for me.

moonlightrunner

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently bought a used truck camper. It will have solar panels on it. Batteries are going to cost more than the panels. I operate on the "thumb rule" of 100W of solar panel for each 100AH of usable battery (or 200ah rated). Just going with Harbor Freight's new 100W panel. Hard to beat the price. $100 less 20% employee discount. The first panel was bought on sale PLUS the 20% discount which brought it down to about $70 or so (can't remember exactly). Unfortunately they only had one in the store and the sale ended before anymore were shipped in. For my use, the solar panels will be powering a small AC refrigerator during the day (on a timer so it shuts down at night). And keeping the batteries up. The truck/camper combo will be a daily driver and used for work shifts that end at midnight (or later) and the next shift is at 7:30AM or when the roads are too icy to risk driving in the wee hours. So the truck/camper will be under parking lot lights most nights. Plus it is to haul the dog around during the day so she's not left home alone. Solar battery chargers (the most accurate description of "solar" power systems) are not a good fit for everyone, despite what many proponents claim. The truck will eventually have 4 (6V 215AH GC-2) batteries plus 4 (100Watt) solar panels. For the stated use, solar will likely be a good fit.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-monocrystalline-solar-panel-57325.html

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moonlightrunner,

What charge controller are you planning on using?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> solar question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.