|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Travelling is not getting easier

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Florida is a great example - but for exactly the opposite reason - New York had 20,000 more Covid related deaths than Florida. But that's typical of the inaccurate portrayal of Covid-19.Empirical evidence went out the window when Covid came to town.

We were in Morelia in March 2020 on a motorcycle trip but cut the trip short and raced back home to Maine because of Covid-19. We were righteously worried but as time passed I started to understand that Covid was no Spanish Influenza. Looked at the data, read up on reports from qualified sources and drew my own conclusions.
Again in January 2021 we planned to tour Mexico by car this time. Chickened out again and really regret not going.
January 2022 we are going - by motorcycle again.
Those of us that travel in Mexico have ignored warnings about safety for years and found that Mexico is nothing at all like the media portrays it as being. Life is full of risks and the trend now is very troubling. Covid-19 alpha variant proved to be 99.8% survivable - Delta is said to be even more survivable - more contagious yet more survivable. Look at CDC data - the 2nd graph... https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm Deaths are at all time lows according to this chart.
Some people are at risk - Obese people, people with other life threatening illnesses - the elderly - these people should take precautions and isolate. Everyone else needs to start living again.

Ironically, there will be those who will come along and call me stupid without even considering the possibility that they are wrong. They'll want my comment deleted even though I cite CDC/NCHS data.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have no plans to RV across our northern or southern borders in the next couple of years anyway so I won't speak on those regions. As for this country, primarily mountain west and southwest regions, we have continued to do plenty of RVing following CDC guidelines. Traveled 1K miles to purchase our current rig late last July while Covid was roaring through our great country. Again, no issues, DW is an RN and wearing a mask and sanitizing hands is normal practice for her. All our DDs are nurses as well, there was zero change in their lives, still working diligently as the virus poses a significant problem for the unvaccinated.

Latest figures have 99% of covid deaths currently occurring to those who were not vaccinated, whether they chose or were not able to get vaccinated due to availablity in their particular area. So many were able to just sit home and continue to work, for those who keep our lives going they still had to work to bring us the goods and services we depend on. If those brave souls can go to work everyday why would we sit home when simply following CDC guidelines allows us to enjoy RVing the same as any other year. Other than private RV parks our state was effectively closed down, we primarily boondocked last year. We love state parks and went to neighboring TX and AZ to enjoy that type of RVing.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Tallyhoe…it’s your crisis.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

American history of last 50 to 60 years will explain why many are not

https://i.imgur.com/OYb2Mgum.png

* This post was last edited 07/30/21 09:56pm by NamMedevac 70 *   View edit history

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a Mexico and South America forum. Many of these comments have nothing at all to do with Mexico and South America.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have asthma. Even the common flu can be hard on me and trigger the asthma. I don't like not being able to breathe - doesn't matter that "I will survive it", I don't want to go through it. It's miserable. Not being able to walk to the bathroom without being out of breath. Having constant coughing fits. Feeling exhausted just from brushing my teeth.

So I see this as I do any other virus. I do what I can to eliminate as much of the risk as possible. In this case, getting vaccinated, wearing a mask as appropriate, and avoiding crowded places or places with a high ocurrance of infection.

I also try to be aware that others may have unseen health issues putting them at greater risk, so I do my best to not subject people to any virus I may have. I regularly self-quarantine myself when I have the flu. Having worked retail and seeing the number of sick people coughing all over the merchandise, I avoid stores when I am sick or stressed or otherwise more susceptible to catching a virus.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a result of covid 19 protocols we have experienced no colds, sinus issues, or other viruses.
I can attribute this to mask wearing, increased washing of hands, and avoiding those who don't.
So the pandemic has had positive impact in our lives.
We have no plans to travel to Mexico or Canada so restrictions there do not impact us directly.

Gatorm

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

The restrictions don't bother us at all but dieing from a preventable condition does. We normally head north during leaf peeping season but with Tennessee in denial about the vaccinations and masks we will choose somewhere else. Somewhere we can sit in a restaurant where people wear masks and are fully vaccinated.

We will wait and see what the conditions are like in the fall. We can beat this crud if we imposed vaccinations, masks, and improved testing of travelers.

We don't plan to try to get around any restrictions as they are put in place to save people's lives. To do otherwise should be considered criminal.

Yeah, you probably need to stay away from Louisiana as well. I wouldn’t call my state as being in denial but having common sense much like Louisiana has. I was just in Louisiana Tuesday and they appear to be living a normal life there much like Tennessee is.

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have spent most of our lives for the last 40 years in countries other than the US. We have always been impressed with the fact that mask wearing is not uncommon. Food service, having a cold, not feeling great, people wear masks.

In the US, if anyone in the past wore a mask, there was something seriously wrong or you were a criminal-or Michael Jackson.

Let's hear it for trying NOT to share your "bug" with others without being labeled as a criminal.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I'll skip Baja for another year or 2. Much as I love it, there are enough places to go in the US w/out tempting fate.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Travelling is not getting easier
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.