|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Travelling is not getting easier

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charlestonsouthern wrote:

Sandia Man, X2. Say thank you from my family to your RN wife for going to work every day and taking the risks before the vaccine was available to her. She represents the "science" we all need to believe in.

I agree.

But I would change the last sentence to:
She represents the science we all need to educate ourselves on to understand properly.

Science isn't a belief - it's a process.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rocmoc

SouthWest USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In line with OP post, we are hoping to make it down Baja this winter. Hopefully the booster will be ready by then as will not go without it. If we don't make it down, we will play around the SouthWest in a few places. Since we are already here, just have to go out the front door and get the toys out. WE are wearing double kn95 mask and never stopped. We never changed any of our safety measures, just felt safer after our jabs. We have made one RV/MH shake down run in SouthEast Arizona a week ago as the rig was in the garage for over a year. Before that just start it up, move outside, let her run for 30-60 minutes including the gen and moved back in. On one of the start/runs, spotted cracks in the tires so a full set was installed. Next thing is the start batteries are weak so they will be replaced. If you have not been out, take a shake down run to make sure your rig is ready to go. Enjoy everyone, it is as good as it is going to get for a long while.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

As a result of covid 19 protocols we have experienced no colds, sinus issues, or other viruses.
I can attribute this to mask wearing, increased washing of hands, and avoiding those who don't.
So the pandemic has had positive impact in our lives.
We have no plans to travel to Mexico or Canada so restrictions there do not impact us directly.

I disagree that mask wearing, handwashing were the main causes of reduced regular flu. The only covid protocol that stopped the spread of colds and regular flu was the closure of public schools, the germ incubator of America.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/21 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rocmoc, I wish I had read your message before we left for Sieverville, Tenn. traveling from low country SC. We had not seen our son and his family for a very long time and we met up at The Ridge campground for a few days. Thoroughly checked out the Hi-Lo camper, tires, hydraulics, batteries, etc. But should have paid more attention to the F-250 Ford diesel truck. We don't use it unless we are towing. The problem was the brakes--the calipers were not working properly; lost a day in the mountains sitting in a NAPA brake repair shop. Since Tenn. is a highly contagious state, we wore masks in the grocery store, cooked out on the Webber Q, and talked with and hugged our family, all of whom are vaccinated. If you are cautious, we can all still have some normalcy, but we keep a couple of masks hanging on the truck turn signal.

Hope your RV trips will be happy ones and uneventful.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F250 and 350 have a brake caliper reputation. We have been to Pigeon Forge twice and Knoxville once in the past year 7-10 days each trip. Didn't fear anything and had a good time each trip.

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, technically these things should be in a different forum, but they are appropriate for here now.

TIRES!!!!!! Anywhere, especially Mexico where some sizes of tires can be difficult to come by and extremely expensive, tires are often ignored and shouldn't be. This is the voice of experience, the hard way, more than once.

RV tires need to be replaced every 5 years. No discussion, no disclaimers that they were always covered, top of the line, not used much. THEY MUST BE REPLACED EVERY 5 YEARS. RV's are heavy, hard to miss potholes, and when a tire fails, a tremendous amount of damage can/will occur.

The year before we moved here permanently and sold our Safari, the tires hit 5 years of age. We talked about stretching another year out of them because they looked perfect, but remembered what we had been through in the past.

Here is a great tip: I bought our new tires on line. First, I had them guarantee the age of the tires by sending photos of the manufacturing date. (look for this information on line.) Then, I called around and found out the cost of having them mounted, balanced and the disposal fees in California. We saved more than a thousand US dollars by having them shipped directly to us and put in the RV. We drove to the tire place who confirmed the age of the tires, and was blown away by the deal we got, and in no time, had great, Michelin tires on the coach.

DON'T RUN ON OLD TIRES!!!!!

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It might be better now but back in the day it was difficult to find other parts for vehicles not commonly sold in Mexico - like an oil filter for a 7.3 diesel engine, or parts for a 3/4 ton pickup.
Maybe the blossoming of Autozone stores throughout Mexico has improved this.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just about everything can be had online but for a price. Rv parts, vitamins, tires, things that used to be hard to come by are found on Amazon Mexico, Autozone and Mercadolibre. Don't forget a Costco and Sam's on every corner. My LTH deep cycle batteries are doing fine and cost me the same as Costco (Costco Mexico doesn't carry them anymore that I know of) plus I get a 48-month guarantee and they will come to the house to install and replace.

Most large tire outlets can now order what you want, and I agree with Talleyho69, we always ask for tires that are less than six months old and the seller always complies.

Ordering from the states in some cases takes time. We have a mailbox in Laredo, TX and the sister box is here in Monterrey. My new rv cover had a $50 import charge including delivery to Monterrey. We can't cross the border now anyway, and I wouldn't drive to Laredo if you paid me. The gas alone would be more than the $50 so it all comes out in the wash.

Teslas are everywhere now, Volts, and just about every other taxi is a Prius.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talleyho, Michelin tires are THE VERY BEST tires made. We make them here in upstate SC. Yes, they are not inexpensive, but generally you get what you pay for. I would think Michelins would do well on Mexican roads.

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexico's President on Covid vaccinations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Travelling is not getting easier
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.