RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Campground Rates

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/21 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kind of surprised no one is talking about Passport America. Lot’s of places to stay from $20 - $50 a night with full H/U. Yes, some have limits on time of year or number of nights you can take the discount but still lots of choices. My wife and I aren’t much for “roughing it”.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/21 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

Kind of surprised no one is talking about Passport America. Lot’s of places to stay from $20 - $50 a night with full H/U. Yes, some have limits on time of year or number of nights you can take the discount but still lots of choices. My wife and I aren’t much for “roughing it”.

Yeah PPA is just about the only one of those 'clubs' that are worth the price. Finding a PPA cg can be tough but you only need a couple to break even.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

gary7n

Groton, NY 13073

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/21 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a practice that is being adopted by some campgrounds called dynamic pricing which is similar to airlines seat pricing. Your price might vary by time of year, number of bookings, and other factors. There is a service that they are subscribing to that calculates the pricing for them. There is a series of articles in recent RV travel newsletters. https://www.rvtravel.com/part-1-dynamics-pricing-campsite/

Gary7n
Groton, NY

2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD
2021 Heartland Mallard 31 ft.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I've heard of both of these. The "fare bucket" pricing is kinda new to me, although I'm not entirely sure that's the correct term for pricing. I've seen some sites that offer me one price, and my friend (sitting right next to me on his phone) sees another price for the same site. It's apparently some algorithm that determines how many times I've come back to that page, or how much time I've spend on that page or something else and adjusts the price because I might be more likely to book with that site. I'm not sure how it works, but I've seen the effects of it.

The minimum stay issue is another one. On one hand I get it, on the other hand it can be ridiculous at times. We just got back from a trip to Vermont and I realized that I didn't book an overnight stop on the way home. Called a bunch of places that were booked. Found another place online that had a vacancy for Saturday night (and ONLY Saturday night), but they had a minimum 2 night reservation policy so I couldn't book it online. That's ridiculous to me, because there was no available site anywhere in the park for Sunday night (so I couldn't stay 2 nights even if I wanted to!!!). Of course it was after hours so there was nobody in the office to call and ask for a variance. I eventually found a site that I could book online for the night though.

I'm hoping this is a fad, while things are hot in the RV market. I realize that there aren't many new campgrounds and there is a high demand right now for RV sites. I hope to get back to a point in time where its not this crazy and I don't have to book months or years in advance to get sites. We love fall camping in the mid-Atlantic, but weekends can be hit or miss. An October weekend could be 30 degrees or 90 degrees. It might be sunny or it might be a deluge of rain. Its hard to know much more than a couple days in advance how the weather might be, and you have to make reservations months in advance. No thanks...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.