RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Why won't the borders allow rvs across?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Why won't the borders allow rvs across?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/21 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personalized decisions at the border would take weeks of waiting in a line…weeks! I’ll vote for Rexlion for special treatment too.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several posts have been deleted that were purely political with nothing to do with RVing and crossing the border.

Please keep the discussion relevant to RVing/camping.

marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad,

Hopefully this won't be deleted by the moderator as I wish to respond to and clarify a post made by JaxDad (that has not been deleted).

Actually, since the Pandemic, Point Roberts has been treated differently than Alaska, and it's residents and mainland U.S. citizens do not have that same privilege granted by Canada (don't know why - does not seem reasonable...). In fact, as of late July, Gov Inslee of Wa. State had to write a letter to the Canadian PM, seeking equal privilege (don't know if it has been granted).

Anyway, as per moderator's request, no further politically leaning posts from me....

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/21 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marpel, so what we have here is the Washington State Governor asking the Prime Minister for clear passage of stranded US citizens to the US and, early on, the Prime Minister asking the President for a boat load of vaccine on the shelf to help the Prime Minister get started with his innoculation program. Sounds like a good deal to me!!

VE3ESN

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, of course the irony in all of this is that there's a "loophole" that many have used to get their car or rv from Canada to the US. We know of a couple in our condo who did this. Here in southern Ontario, a company near St. Catherines, ON will arrange for your vehicle (car, truck, or RV) to be placed on a flat-bed truck and driven to Buffalo, NY. Then, after a short helicopter ride to your vehicle in Buffalo, you've crossed the border and free to drive to your US destination. The service isn't inexpensive, but apparently many have done it.

Having said all this, when we found out what our neighbors had done, we were quite wary of the whole process. However, when they returned to Canada, both of them had their double Moderna vaccinations that they received, free of charge, in Florida. Actually, they had their shots before my wife and me!

However, they've since told us that they're somewhat concerned about future trips to Florida because of "vaccine hesitancy" among many in the "red states", which is much of the trip south and their Florida destination. The anti-vaxxers have the potential to ruin it for the rest of us, and it's hard to understand their rationale. They really need to follow the science.

Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

netjam

Canadian on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VE3ESN wrote:

Well, of course the irony in all of this is that there's a "loophole" that many have used to get their car or rv from Canada to the US. We know of a couple in our condo who did this. Here in southern Ontario, a company near St. Catherines, ON will arrange for your vehicle (car, truck, or RV) to be placed on a flat-bed truck and driven to Buffalo, NY. Then, after a short helicopter ride to your vehicle in Buffalo, you've crossed the border and free to drive to your US destination. The service isn't inexpensive, but apparently many have done it.

Having said all this, when we found out what our neighbors had done, we were quite wary of the whole process. However, when they returned to Canada, both of them had their double Moderna vaccinations that they received, free of charge, in Florida. Actually, they had their shots before my wife and me!

However, they've since told us that they're somewhat concerned about future trips to Florida because of "vaccine hesitancy" among many in the "red states", which is much of the trip south and their Florida destination. The anti-vaxxers have the potential to ruin it for the rest of us, and it's hard to understand their rationale. They really need to follow the science.

Would be interested in the name of the outfit in st catherines. PM me.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VE3ESN, "The anti-vaxxers have the potential to ruin it for the rest of us, and it's hard to understand their rationale." A while back, I had to call off my trip to Paris because of anti-vaxxers protesting in the streets of France and the EU shutting down the borders; Yes, I was ready to wear my masks and use my giant bottle of hand cleaner. They "ruin(ed) it for the rest of us."

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was posted this morning and is just a FYI. There's just too much "what if" flying about on this thread.

Border Crossing/ Canadian

Canadian Border

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

c.traveler2 wrote:

This was posted this morning and is just a FYI. There's just too much "what if" flying about on this thread.

Border Crossing/ Canadian

Canadian Border

That first link is not an official Canadian Govt website, and it doesn’t matter if they are right or wrong in what they are saying, it’s not and Official Gov’t of Canada website.

The second link is to the Canadian Gov’t website, and that’s the only site to get current and correct information on any topic, not just this one that is Gov’t of Canada related. And if you don’t understand ot believe the website, phone them.

YouTube is not the place to ever get official information unless it is linked back to the government website. And even that info could be out of date by the time you see it on YouTube.

There are a lot of people asking questions about crossing the boarder going either direction on this, and many other sites, the answer to all their questions is go contact the Canadian or USA Govt by what ever means to get the answers to the questions your looking for.

Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

Gismo123 wrote:

I have tried to tell the government that rvs should be allowed across the border. We are in homes on wheels. We have food, washroom facilities, and entertainment but instead the USA will allow people to pile into an airplane from Canada and go to the United States but being isolated in an RV isn't good enough. I tried to get a petition going, but it went nowhere. Any ideas?

Understand. the gov isn't really following the science. They pick and choose what they want to happen. Notice tens of thousands of illegal aliens cross, and are shipped all over the country. But you can't drive your RV across. You alone in your RV are too much of a hazzard.

Pardon me for introducing logic into this mess, but you’re saying the US government is actively allowing illegal immigrants free passage to drive over the border now?

not drive. But walk. they are crossing by the tens of thousands, and are getting free air, and bus travel to hundreds of US cities, at our expense, and none of them have been vaccinated. It's on the news every day.
Wanna guess whay there is a surge is covid cases. Yep. it is being imported thru illigals.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Why won't the borders allow rvs across?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.