RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Battery Replacement?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Battery Replacement?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Beaker

Brevard, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/21 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

salem wrote:

That means the batteries are five years old. Should I replace them before they go bad? How long do they usually last?

Mine lasted 12 years. As some on here say: they last until they don't. Maybe carry a set of good jumper cables. I could tell by the dash voltage gauge that it was taking longer for the needle to reach the point that it had for years.

2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living i the Central Valley of Ca, you are right on the cusp of replacement time. Extreme heat is the killer of batteries. Carrying a single jump pack won't help with w diesel. Only you can decide what to do. I usually wait until they die, then find out right when I am getting ready to go somewhere. Then I have to tell the DW it'll be an hour....I have to go to Costco to replace the batteries again.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, as you see by the responses, battery life can vary from a few years to over 10.
Guess what that makes the average?
You’re getting into the average.
On a scale of good to worst conditions (all other things equal) it goes moderate temps = longest battery life. Cold conditions = not as good. Hot weather = shortest life.

You’ve asked a crystal ball question that is frankly pretty silly. Given you have a high $ truck that is a garage queen, I’ll presume you’re an older person. As such you probably have your own years of experience with car batteries and this vehicle or it’s batteries are not any more special than any others.
So bottom line, flip a coin.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

salem wrote:

I have a 2016 Chevy 2500 diesel with 20,000 miles. That means the batteries are five years old. Should I replace them before they go bad? How long do they usually last? Any recommendations as to brand?

Hi salem,

Where you live makes a huge difference. Cold storage is best so long as the batteries are fully charged before hand.

Heat kills batteries fast.

My car is from 2013 and the battery is just fine. It will start the car at -27 c, with no block heater. It will NOT start the car at -34 c, with no block heater.

My vote is do a load test. Most battery places will do such a test for free.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My vote is do a load test. Most battery places will do such a test for free."

To do so the batteries need to be separated.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, you should let them go bad. Yes, that's a bit of sarcasm. Of course replace at 4-5 years or so. Like said, they don't give much warning.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Living i the Central Valley of Ca, you are right on the cusp of replacement time. Extreme heat is the killer of batteries. Carrying a single jump pack won't help with w diesel. Only you can decide what to do. I usually wait until they die, then find out right when I am getting ready to go somewhere. Then I have to tell the DW it'll be an hour....I have to go to Costco to replace the batteries again.

with two completely dead batteries on my duramax, and temps of about 50F, I dug out my costco jump start from under the back seat, plugged it on, took about 5 seconds for the glow plug light to go out, hit the ignition, cranked slow but started up quickly. Yes, a decent jump start unit is capable of starting a diesel in moderate temps. pretty much drains it the first time, but can be done.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

true, but that is easy peasy to do.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

true, but that is easy peasy to do.

True but many don’t understand that.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Feb of 2018 I bought a 2003 RAM 2500 that was built in January of '03. 86K original miles. It had a little hesitation but cranked up fine. The batteries were made in Dec of '02, they were the original Damiler Chrysler batteries, and upon close inspection they were the Delco/Delphi batteries with the "green eye" on the top but it was covered up by the Damiler Chrysler labels.

These batteries had lasted 15 years, which shocked me. I have in the past used the Delco/Delphi batteries due to their long life and got as much as 9 years from one, but the quality on the newer ones wasn't as good and I gave up chasing down a dealer to buy a battery that didn't last.

I wanted AGM and shopped price, Pep Boys had a 25% off sale on the Bosch AGM's so that is what I got.

As already noted, nowdays batteries work till they don't. You get about one or two strange startups that leave you going "what happened" and then they are toast.

Traveling, your best bet is to have a small lithium jump start pack and when they croak, if you are away from home, jump it and head for the nearest auto parts store and buy two new batteries.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Battery Replacement?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.