|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Has anyone noticed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have been on the road for a few weeks, we went up I-5 from Los Angeles and over to the central Oregon coast and now down into California on 101. We think that we have seen a larger number of high end class A's that appear brand new than ever before. I'm talking clean, dirt free wheel wells and running gear new.

I'm thinking that the owners are new to the life style and bought way over their heads, that, or the average RVer just can't afford to travel right now. We're in an ocean/bay front park right now, nothing special, no trees or hedges dividing the spaces, no paved roads, only about a 8'X8' pad next to the parking spot, no gravel or paving to park on in the sites just dirt, no fire rings, just dead grass but it is an ocean/bay front park with great views. Normally we are among rigs similar to ours, a few years old gassers with a little wear and tear, not this trip, DP's all over very clean and stately, in what if it were not for the views is a low end park with no facilities to speak of, not what we are accustomed to seeing. The number of really big trailers is also greater than normal.

It just seems that it has been this way since we left home.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To be sure, new converts to the RV lifestyle have come from Covid remote workers, and some of them will stick to it. Most others, methinks, will eventually tire of the lifestyle, and will find it hard to leave an expensive RV in storage, seeing little use after 2022. That could leave a glut of affordable RV's for those looking to upgrade, me being one of them... keep an eye out...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So basically you’ve just noticed the surge in RV purchases?
But in the form of pushers and big trailers? Fwiw there’s more new “other” RVs out there too.

This is not new news. 2020 just called and they want their story back.

Bad part is a lot of these new RVers are “working from home” folks, whom are putting a strain on the productivity of many jobs. Another issue that is costing companies money by folks taking advantage of a situation or allowance.

I know this is a tangent, but on our (1) trip this year, I saw more than a couple working age folks sitting at their picnic tables on their laptops for extended periods during weekdays.
Longer than just “checking email” and less than working all day.
Based on the performance of the remaining “work at home” slugs in our company, and firms that I work with daily, these folks are milking the company dime.
This trend is disturbing and quite frankly makes my job harder, when numerous people who’s performance I rely on as a manager can basically work reduced hours and it’s not enforceable.
In the company I work for, we have idk, about 3500 staff of salaried positions. About half of which aren’t field supervision positions (construction). Officially we are now at “50% return to work” capacity. A self imposed limit by our self imposed “pandemic response group”. 50%?? I’ve seen a few of these same people who must “work from home” due to the pandemic, out hopping around on weekends with the masses.
One of the “work from Homers” as we call them, I saw at the Sounders soccer game yesterday with his son…. In the office, he limits his time there, you know, because of the 50% rule, but on a Saturday he’s cool with going to an event with 20,000 random people and no mask!

But it’s good for the RV industry eh!

* This post was last edited 08/01/21 09:30am by Grit dog *   View edit history

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/21 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Emma Wood SB?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take into consideration, the more expensive RV "parks" are filled up too, leaving the upper-crust RV'ers no choice but to park their rigs in the dirt we are accustomed to camping on.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could be that these big RVs have always been owned, but were previously just parked in the storage lot. Now that more are out of work, or are forced to hide (especially the West coast persons) from an unverified virus yet to be identified and are free to travel more, or forced to work from home (or the rv) and are able to take more frequent or longer RV trips that we are able to see them on the road.

It always amazes me how many campers and rv and boats just sit in the same storage lot 51 weeks out of the year anyway. Seems like it would just be cheaper to rent an rv for that one week a year that most use them. I guess it is fun to own the dream though, to know it is yours and there waiting for your adventures.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good things eventually

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

……….And the campers attitudes have also changed; and how many new USFS / BLM / State / Utility / Government campgrounds have you seen open up in the last few years to accommodate the last 6 years of Record RV Sales??? We got rid of our Class A & Towed a couple years ago & UPGRADED to a TC; we’re still Happy Campers….

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dirt is not permitted to fall on those high end As

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of folks who have been cooped up for a year now that are thinking The RV life looks.... interesting. And some who have been forced to "Downsize" though when you figure some of those Class A's go from between 100 grand new up to over a quarter million (250,000) I'm not sure how much "Downsizing" it is $$$ wise.

but Enjoy I just downsized (last year) From a 100,000 new RV with terminal damage from an aggressive seim (no injury) to an apartment.. What downsized.. Well I was paying off the RV loan a bit faster than the bank desired in order to pay it off sooner.. and the monthly check was larger than the monthly rent.

There is much more.. it was time to move on and I think the Rig was about to hit me with a MAJOR fix me bill so I'm not at all upset.. Feeling better than I have in a while in fact.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Has anyone noticed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.