RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What do you think about this set up?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What do you think about this set up?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
1ed

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some additional info on the truck: Truck has Extended Cab with 6.6 bed 81000 miles and just had Tranny fluid change and filter changed too. Truck is in Excellent Condition.
It does have the 6 speed Tranny with the Tow/Haul feature with the grade braking system.
Last week I can down the famous GRAPEVINE at 50 MPH towing my Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S and never once touched the brakes because I was in Tow/Haul mode with cruise set at 50 MPH.

* This post was edited 08/02/21 03:53pm by 1ed *

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curly2001 wrote:

Quite a few years ago I had a very similar set up with a Chevy Tahoe, 350 CI engine and 3:42 gears. I did tow a 19' Wilderness and did two things. Ran out of power in the hills and burned up the rear diff. You will find out it is driving you and you are not driving it at the end of the day. The gearing is not right for the load you want to tow in my opinion.
Curly

350, meaning at best you had a 4-speed transmission, a glorified TH400 with overdrive.

In 2013 there's a good chance that the OP's Tahoe has the 6-speed, which has a much deeper 1st gear, and two additional gears between first and direct. This allows you to have the low grunt of a 4.10 and the good unloaded mileage of the 3.42, using transmission gears instead of differential gears.

"Gotta have a 4.10" is outdated 1970's thinking.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curly2001 wrote:

Quite a few years ago I had a very similar set up with a Chevy Tahoe, 350 CI engine and 3:42 gears. I did tow a 19' Wilderness and did two things. Ran out of power in the hills and burned up the rear diff. You will find out it is driving you and you are not driving it at the end of the day. The gearing is not right for the load you want to tow in my opinion.
Curly
What does a "burned up differential" mean? It either turns or it doesn't,there is nothing in there to burn up. Now if you burned up a transmission that would make sense.

Thunderbolt

North Branch, Mn USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

Curly2001 wrote:

Curly
What does a "burned up differential" mean? It either turns or it doesn't,there is nothing in there to burn up. Now if you burned up a transmission that would make sense.

I am sure he means overheated and ruined bearings or possibly ruined the Gov-Loc if he had it. Burned up is being used universally for wrecked, ruined fried or toasted the rear diff essentially ruining the differential. [emoticon]

Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1ed wrote:

I have a 2013 Chevy with the 5.3 eng and trailer package with a towing capacity with the 3.42 rear at 9800 lbs. Thinking of going to a larger trailer that is 29 ft and dry wt of 6600 lbs.I travel light and just me and the bride and one cat. I know things add up but I think or feel this is doable. That are your thoughts? Thanks Ed. I do not need to be the first one over the hill and would be staying here in California.

If you like towing in 3rd maybe 4th gear all the time. I had that same setup on a 2013 Chevy Z-71 cab and a half, pulling a 25’ toy hauler, Dry weight 6,000 with a golf cart inside. Truck moaned to get up to speed. That was when we lived in NE Florida.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Curly2001 wrote:

Curly

350, meaning at best you had a 4-speed transmission, a glorified TH400 with overdrive.

In 2013 there's a good chance that the OP's Tahoe has the 6-speed, which has a much deeper 1st gear, and two additional gears between first and direct. This allows you to have the low grunt of a 4.10 and the good unloaded mileage of the 3.42, using transmission gears instead of differential gears.

You're right, I drive 2011 and 2009 Tahoes at work and they both have six speeds. I think they went to the trans about 2007ish? They run well but they can never decide which gear to be in unless you use manual mode, and that's running empty. Not sure if towing heavy with one would be fun although I'm sure they would do the job.

1ed

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2013 Chevy 1500 Silverado Extended Truck with 6.6 bed. Not sure why we are talking about a short wheel based SUV Tahoe

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Curly2001 wrote:

Curly

I'd be willing to bet the trans is a 4l60e, a glorified th350. If the Tahoe is an 8 lug burb Tahoe, then yes, it has the 4l80e which is a glorified th400. The 4l60 is the better towing gear due to lower ratios in 1st and 2nd gears

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towed a similar trailer with an 2006 Silverado and 5.3. I would definitely use a good WDH, but should be ok. I would not want to go across the country, but for shorter trips would be ok. I did pull through the NC mountains, definitely struggled uphill. If I were going to tow it allot though, I would consider a 2500.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What do you think about this set up?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.