RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Glenwood Canyon I-70 mudslides....!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Glenwood Canyon I-70 mudslides....!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're so waiting for the road to open. Of course it will be big backups with only one lane, lots of freight backed up in Denver ready to head west, and lots of gawkers.

We've missed seeing family just on the other side of the canyon. And Allison already has a long shopping list for Costco!

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ken/ Allison, are you seeing any gasoline shortages or uptick in prices?
Have been reading/ hearing that might be the case for you folks on the west side of the Canyon.

...over here, we are missing the peaches and corn from Palisades and Olathe that can't get through.

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Canyon is OPEN!!! [emoticon]

As for gas prices, they're always a lot higher here. Even just driving to Silt or Rifle can save 10 to 20 cents a gallon.

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, we drove the canyon this afternoon. Not much traffic at all (yet). I'm sure trucks will start using this route again in the next day or two. Only about a mile of single lane traffic each way. Otherwise it's just the normal two lanes each direction.

The devastation is greater than I anticipated, even looking at the videos and pictures. There are a number of drainages which had mudflows come down on one or both lanes of traffic along a 5 or 6 mile stretch of the highway. I think CDOT has done an amazing job of getting the road passable in such a short amount of time, given what had transpired. In lots of places the guardrails were ripped from the concrete barriers. There are some places where one lane of the roadway itself is gone.

There were also mudflows on the opposite side of the river which came across the railroad tracks and down into the river. Between the mudflows on both sides of the canyon, the course of the river has been changed dramatically. Places that used to have rapids now have some slack water where one of these debris fans has blocked one side of the river or the other.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shadow57, you can use the 3500 to push you over the passes. [emoticon][emoticon] From IN I would use I-70 as it’s in pretty good shape. From CO Springs I’d take I-25 south Walsenburg and 160 to its end in at Tuba City, AZ and then to the N Rim before Bryce. Wolfe Creek pass (south of South Fork) is one of the easier passes.
Sounds like you can use I-70 on the return home after taking 12 from Bryce to Capital Reef… Yes, you can do 12 in a RV.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Glenwood Canyon I-70 mudslides....!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.