RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Wastewater Tote & Fresh Water Containers - Do you use them?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Wastewater Tote & Fresh Water Containers - Do you use them?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CKB0404

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the boot box, I fitted a 20-gallon tank and a 12-volt pump. I also utilised a Bar sink with a single line for both hot and cold water. The drain is collected in a 5-gallon holding bucket. The reason I ***Link Removed*** is the ease of use. I attached a cheap boat bilge pump to the bucket so that the grey water could be pumped into another bucket or onto the ground if necessary. You need to be able to remove the bucket when it fills up, and you wouldn't want it splashing around and wetting the floor when you're going.

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Barker 42 Gal tote for years. I don't use it much but very nice to have when the kids are along for longer State Park trips without full hookups. Otherwise, with just the wife and I, conserving water, we can do a 3 night stay with on board showers and usually not need it. I use the 6 gal green jugs for fresh water refills. Breaking camp is not an option in my book. It's a last resort.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a 275 gallon IBC tote for additional freshwater.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a small fresh water tote ( a 5 gallon jug) to keep my small fresh water tank filled. I don't fill up my waste tanks. I am just a weekend camper and by being frugal I have never managed to completely fill up the tanks. I've been close a time or two though.

jesseannie

Roseburg, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/21 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Showering is over rated.
Keeps the neighbors far away no need for covid masks.

Jesseannie

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jesseannie wrote:

Showering is over rated.
Keeps the neighbors far away no need for covid masks.

Jesseannie

Actually, I don't shower a lot when I'm camping. I'm often at the lake and why would I need to shower when I was just swimming in the water. ( Some people freak out when I say that lol) And, I sometimes just take a Sponge Bath when I'm out camping. It depends on what I have been doing and what I plan on doing after that. No use getting all gussied up if the next morning I'm just going to go fishing and get all dirty again right away.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/21 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't that part of the camping experience? I love coming home and taking that nice long shower afterwards.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/21 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we carry the 7 gallon fresh cans when we are going to campgrounds w/o water hookups. With a 35 gallon black tank, no need for a "blue boy" for the black tank. 35 gallons will last us at least two weeks. And 70 gallons of grey also will last several weeks. It's the 40 gallon fresh that needs an occasion refill

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mkenyon2

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll post my little story here.

Last month we did a trial run 1 week camping trip, 1st time with a non-popup TT with plumbing. I bought a honey wagon cause I didn't want to have to move mid-trip. I figured I'd fill the fresh when I got to the campground (State Park here in PA).

I was behind schedule and didn't see the fresh fill up where I thought it would be, so I figured I'd use my backup plan. 5 gal fresh tote w/ a funnel.

... I'll wait for y'all to stop laughing...

Inlet for the fresh tank is horizontal. Did you all know that? I didn't. Funnel wouldn't work.

Stubborn as I am, I still didn't want to move the trailer. (There were other issues with that.) So I hit the local Wallyworld for a pump. And picked up a little hand pump.

Long story short, over the week I filled our 40gal fresh tank twice by hand pump and 5 gal tote. My arms and shoulders hurt for a week.

PS. The honey wagon was used once and worked fine.

MK out of PA and My Wifey
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkenyon2 wrote:

I'll post my little story here.

Last month we did a trial run 1 week camping trip, 1st time with a non-popup TT with plumbing. I bought a honey wagon cause I didn't want to have to move mid-trip. I figured I'd fill the fresh when I got to the campground (State Park here in PA).

I was behind schedule and didn't see the fresh fill up where I thought it would be, so I figured I'd use my backup plan. 5 gal fresh tote w/ a funnel.

... I'll wait for y'all to stop laughing...

Inlet for the fresh tank is horizontal. Did you all know that? I didn't. Funnel wouldn't work.

Stubborn as I am, I still didn't want to move the trailer. (There were other issues with that.) So I hit the local Wallyworld for a pump. And picked up a little hand pump.

Long story short, over the week I filled our 40gal fresh tank twice by hand pump and 5 gal tote. My arms and shoulders hurt for a week.

PS. The honey wagon was used once and worked fine.

When I first got my Pop-up, the gospel according to internet declared my camper could not be used unless I had a)enough water containers to capture the total capacity of fresh tank as grey. b)a way to refill the FW tank. c)a place to dump porta-potty every day.
For (a) I bought 4 water containers, and lines so when each got full the overflow would fill next jug. (b) bought a collapsible water container, and a long plastic funnel. Then I cut and welded on that funnel until it would stick in the fill, line thru loops would hook to trailer to hold opening flat. (c)made a bag with handles to hide that tank when carried into a toilet.
Then I used the camper. (c)If we are going to stay more than 3 days, dump after 2 days. 3 has always fit, but. (Still carry that bag, have never used it as designed) (b)I gave the funnel to a young couple that was struggling to get water into their tank. The jug is still in trailer. I sometimes fill it, and use water out of it, because it is easier to fill the percolator I use for water heater out of jug. (a) after a year, with 3 of the jugs never used, I gave 1, marked grey, as a popup warming present. 1 mounted on tool truck, to replace bucket washing hands. (5 gal bucket half full, with brush and bottle of soap floating in it. Water replaced when I remembered how dirty it is) The last I put on table near the hydrant in truck lot. Sun shining on jug warmed wash water some.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Wastewater Tote & Fresh Water Containers - Do you use them?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.