RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: When to buy?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> When to buy?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a lot of people are going to be too far upside down to sell theirs. There won't be a big influx of used ones for many years.

I'm a proponent of buying an RV when you're ready, not waiting around for the right deal to come along. If you want to get out there and travel you need to do it while you can. Life happens, and illness, injury, personal obligations and other factors are always out there to get in the way of your future plans. We have two relatives who have had to drop and/or substantially modify their plans to travel, recently. One passed after a brief fight with cancer, and the other had a stroke that will change their life forever. It might be getting slightly off-topic, but I think the idea of waiting for the right deal is waiting too long. We sold our house and went fulltime in our 30s, because who knows if we'll be able to enjoy it or even be around come retirement age.

* This post was edited 08/04/21 01:00pm by n0arp *

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

WinMinnie02

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you think you will enjoy the lifestyle, including extra work required, maintenance & repair, offset by all the benefits of rving, I would not wait.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But after two to five years of newbie ownership no maintenance will have been performed, tires uncovered after sitting in the sun etc.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Then you have those tens of thousands of families that took the opportunity to use their Covid relief cash to get something they may never had been able to afford otherwise. Those people will be RV lifer's, filling up campgrounds for years to come.
Especially as they give up their home or get evicted from the apartment. RV life could be the permanent solution for many. The cities will be lucky if most stay in campgrounds vs squatting on public streets.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hot market for sellers. Class C sold last year for a great price, 19 Rubicon sold for 500 less than what I paid for it 2 years ago. That Jeep didn't do anything for me. I have enough toys. Found a work n play for my side by side and it put my Duramax back to work. 14mpg vs the C's 8

loralli23

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would have to agree

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

radiojeffrv wrote:

Would have to agree...I believe many people ran out and bought RVs during the height of the pandemic and had no clue what it really takes to maintain a RV. I expect to see many on the market over the next 2-5 years.

I agree. But 2-5 years of zero maintenance is going to take an expensive toll in the form of water intrusion and bad tires and worn=-out batteries. Buyer beware, even more than usual.

What makes a greater propensity for lack of maintenance? And how much "needs" to be done in the first few years?
Besides, I just bought "2-5 year old" RV. 4 to be exact. Zero maint. Had to air up the tires to tow it home, and a little sun fading from recent times out of covered storage.

Let's see, needs a little minor caulking (probably present since almost new), greased up the bearings (no different than any other new trailer), cleaned the roof and couple minor repairs that were not maintenance related.

I don't see the connection between Covid and RV maintenance whatsoever. Not like because someone bought a new camper to go sightseeing during Covid that it wasn't just as big of a (relative) investment for them as anyone else or any other reason to buy a camper.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

Then you have those tens of thousands of families that took the opportunity to use their Covid relief cash to get something they may never had been able to afford otherwise. Those people will be RV lifer's, filling up campgrounds for years to come.
Especially as they give up their home or get evicted from the apartment. RV life could be the permanent solution for many. The cities will be lucky if most stay in campgrounds vs squatting on public streets.

Again, nothing to do with the OP's question....

If we're talking totally off topic responses, I got one that is at least somewhat related. Raw materials inflation and materials/components availability issues will/have actually affect(ed)/increase(ed) the cost of RV manufacturing, thereby offsetting some of the potential savings of a potential glut of covid campers selling their RVs.

That said, there are theories that the wildly inflated prices of the last year or so will become the "new" normal (not just rvs) and that mfgs will try to craft the future of lower production numbers and higher unit profits.
And the direct opposite that the excess of slightly used (more specific to RVs and toys) merchandise will drive prices back down.

Johnny Hurryup

Tafton Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything has gone nuts. I bought a used 2019 Ford F 150 Lariat 18 months ago for $36k. Dealers are asking $42 to $48k for a used '19 now,

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnny Hurryup wrote:

Everything has gone nuts. I bought a used 2019 Ford F 150 Lariat 18 months ago for $36k. Dealers are asking $42 to $48k for a used '19 now,

Local Chevy dealer has used vehicles in showroom. No new trucks available.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> When to buy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.