RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Surge Protector - Hardwired without transfer switch?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Surge Protector - Hardwired without transfer switch?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new to me TT does not have a surge protector (SP), portable or hardwired. It also does not have a transfer switch (TS). I have not yet verified, but I assume the power cord used to connect my trailer to a power source (ex. power pedestal at campground) is connected directly to inverter/charger box where 120V and 12V fuses/breakers are located.

The last hardwired SP I installed was in my TH that had a built in genny. I installed the SP before the TS.

I want to install a SP in my TT. MY TT is 30amp.
Do I need to have a TS to utilize ALL aspects/benefits of the SP?
Or can the SP be installed anywhere between the power cord and the inverter/charger?

Thanks!

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

TUCQUALA

Kennewick, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have installed a 30A hardwired Hughes Watchdog. Didn't put in a "switch" (aSSume you mean a switch to bypass the SP) but will be doing it soon. Found out that the SP would kick out when running AC on generator due to voltage dropping below (very momentary!!) the "protection" low limit. Since trailer is now on our own 10 acres (not travelling anywhere), only running when needed on generator, I have disconnected the SP so we can run the AC!! Hughes sees no problem with the unit, the gen mfg doesn't see any problem with the genny!! So, no SP being used at this time!!

Just thought I'd mention it to help with your decision!!

So, are you happy with your Outdoors "replacement"??!!

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No TS needed unless you add a second power source such as an inverter.

Just remove the wire from the main panel and connect to the SP inlet. Get a like piece of wire and connect the SP out to the panel. Done. This makes it easy to remove if needed.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No need for a transfer switch. Do get one with a bypass switch. It appears that Hughes now makes a better surge protector than either Surge Guard or P.I.

https://hughesautoformers.com/power-watchdog-smart-surge-protectors/

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don’t have a generator why do you think you need a transfer switch? Transfer between what? Just get a SP to sit between your 30 amp plug and the power source.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing needed for your scenario, with our TH we either plugged directly into shorepower with our surge protector or plugged power cord into dedicated generator outlet provided on our rig. With our class A nothing has changed for the most part, we plug power cord with surge protector into power pedestal, transfer switch always prioritizes Onan power when genny is running anyway. We love our Hughes SP, works flawlessly and the info provided via bluetooth is quite in depth.

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the wiring (no transfer switch) change or is the SP affected when I plug my RV 30amp power cord directly to my inverter portable gennys?

Tuquala: Just getting her dialed in! It's a very nice floor plan but quality is not as high as ORV....but neither is the price! Time will tell how she holds up.

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tuquala....

Does the Hughes unit have a bypass switch? The Progressive Industries unit I purchased has one. I believe these are what are needed for the low voltage via inverter/genny.

Also, you do not travel with trailer any longer?

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wiring in the trailer doesn't change when you plug into your own generator instead of the utility company's generators (which may be many miles away somewhere on the grid). The only negative with a surge protector may be that it detects the unbonded ground and neutral on the generator as an open ground and complains about that, if it's a decent EMS unit. The solution to that is pretty simple: either bypass the EMS, if it has a bypass switch, or plug a bonding plug into one of the outlets on the generator. A quick search of the forum will show what a bonding plug is and how to make one; it just connects the neutral to the ground on the generator.

TUCQUALA

Kennewick, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baja, no bypass on the Hughes. Maybe one of its shortcomings!! It is bypassed, power from socket direct into trlr like it was. Don't travel anymore at the moment, trailer is up on land we purchased last year. May put in a quick connect so I can easily go between the Hughes and direct input if and when needed!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Surge Protector - Hardwired without transfer switch?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.