RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RV plywood cleaning stains and repair

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV plywood cleaning stains and repair

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
newownerneedadvice

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First time owning a 1996 Coachman 300 QB RV. Long story short trying to save money I asked someone to help me with the floor inside the RV. What happened was they ripped half the carpet up and and The linoleum and left a bare plywood base. Since then there has been milk spilled soda spills and any other kind of liquid spills. I’m asking for any advice on how to clean the plywood without making it warp so that I can either seal it and put new carpet on I’m just at a loss right now any advice would be helpful there is water damage in one corner by the driver area no where else That I can see but what should I use to clean the plywood and not further damage. Thanks in advance. Not super crafty but if someone gives me directions I’m sure I can figure it out.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plywood won't warp. It may delaminate, but even that shouldn't happen. Use your favorite cleaning product, maybe even some bleach. Just don't saturate the wood.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 11:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Plywood won't warp. It may delaminate, but even that shouldn't happen. Use your favorite cleaning product, maybe even some bleach. Just don't saturate the wood.

This….

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/21 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next time finish the job! Or at least get some heavy duty paper material that the home centers sell for contractors to protect floors during construction.

Gooma

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clean with soap and water, and allow to dry. If you are that messy, you don't want carpet.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newownerneedadvice wrote:

First time owning a 1996 Coachman 300 QB RV. Long story short trying to save money I asked someone to help me with the floor inside the RV. What happened was they ripped half the carpet up and and The linoleum and left a bare plywood base. Since then there has been milk spilled soda spills and any other kind of liquid spills. I’m asking for any advice on how to clean the plywood without making it warp so that I can either seal it and put new carpet on I’m just at a loss right now any advice would be helpful there is water damage in one corner by the driver area no where else That I can see but what should I use to clean the plywood and not further damage. Thanks in advance. Not super crafty but if someone gives me directions I’m sure I can figure it out.

Reality is once the wood fibers absorb the liquid, it is in the fibers forever so you really can't fully remove the spills, there will always be leftover spills that have soaked in.

What you want to do is remove any sticky residue on the top of the wood, lightly scrub top with a cloth soaked with soapy water (dish detergent like Dawn should work well enough) to get rid of anything sticky.

Allow to dry, then sand the floor to even out the grain of the wood (water and liquids will "open" the wood grain).

Vacuum off the leftover dust.

Then prime the wood with a good primer (may need several coats), Kilz is a very effective stain blocking primer.

Then paint the wood.

Then put down your new flooring.

Priming and painting the wood will seal and lock in any and all leftover residues and odors that were soaked into the wood (this also can be effective for stubborn pet mess stains) and help to resist absorbsion of any additional spills.

On edit, if you encounter rotted (soft) wood from continual water soak damage you will need to cut out, remove and replace the affected area (sounds like you may need some local help for that). Nothing can be done with wood that has rotted and you will need to remove all rotted wood if you encounter it. This requires some skill and adaptation that you might not have.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wash it. If it still stinks paint it with killz before flooring.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plywood can and does warp depending on the conditions it's been in.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

LJAZ

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/21 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think any of the deck cleaner products available at the local big box store would work.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Plywood can and does warp depending on the conditions it's been in.

Which is why I recommended using a cloth soaked with soapy water instead of swabbing the deck with a mop and bucket approach. Basically spot clean lightly.

You only want to clean the top surface just enough to prep it for primer and paint.

Primer and paint will seal the rest of the leftover stain and provide a barrier from stain or odor to cause further problems. Additionally gives a liquid resistance layer under carpeting so future spills or stains can't reach the wood..

Very important, don't skip the primer and you want a primer that is rated to block stains. My go to for that is Kilz, hands down works.

On edit, I should add that since the OP removed vinyl flooring it is often 100% glued down, removing it often leaves a lot of rough glue residue. That glue must also be removed from the surface if you want your new floor to be smooth.

Most vinyl flooring glues are water based, you have to lightly spray the floor with water(I used a small bottle with squeeze trigger that had a spray option). Work in small area at a time, I did a 1 ft square section at a time. Lightly spritz the glue, wait a few minutes then use a 6 inch wide drywall mud knife and scrape off the glue.

Allow time to dry, then sanded floor with 80 grit paper, Primed and painted, came out nice, no warps. Did that 12yrs ago and the stick on vinyl tiles I used are still in place.

* This post was edited 08/05/21 11:16am by Gdetrailer *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV plywood cleaning stains and repair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.