|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Alaska Sept 2022

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say most of this info is good news for me. I really want to go next year.

2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Border stays open, AK better get ready next year. It’ll be a very popular destination!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No kidding , I know a bunch of people who are planning now!!

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a pre-planning note, many of the usual attractions that visitors (of all types) like to visit are tied to one degree or the other to the cruise ship crowd (even in SC Alaska, such as Los Anchorage and Talkeetna). Whether or not the cruise ships return at something near usual levels will have an effect on whether some of the tours / activities / services are also back to their pre-restriction levels.

Even assuming the border stays "open", it would be well to check with one's intended destination / attraction to make sure it's open in 2022....even if that just means a decision to turn right to Fairbanks or left to Glennallen / Anchorage

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we got to TOK my crysal ball said turn right due to weather. The cruisers in their high end cruise busses going to the high end cruise ship resorts never came to our CGs. [emoticon]

They packed Skagway but weren't to interested in the places we went to. We were going to take the train but cancelled. When we left and drove up to the Canadian border we go out, walked around and waved at the cruisers that weren't allowed off of the train as their passports were most likely on the ship anyway. [emoticon]

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

When we got to TOK my crysal ball said turn right due to weather. The cruisers in their high end cruise busses going to the high end cruise ship resorts never came to our CGs. [emoticon]

They packed Skagway but weren't to interested in the places we went to. We were going to take the train but cancelled. When we left and drove up to the Canadian border we go out, walked around and waved at the cruisers that weren't allowed off of the train as their passports were most likely on the ship anyway. [emoticon]

We did the same thing in Skagway - rented a couple jeeps and had a great photography adventure driving up into Canada. Saw the same thing with tour buses and the train. We got to explore, they got to sit in their seats. Glad we chose to rent jeeps privately.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend vacationing in Alaska right now. They flew up so not an RV adventure, but they have visited Denali, Fairbanks, North pole, over to the coast, Kenai, Valdez, Alyeska, etc. No issues with things being closed or tourist spots being closed. I'm sure there aren't the crowds with only a few cruise ships running, but certainly not stopping them or finding things closed. I'm sure next year everything will be open and crowded as ever.

Orion

Pacific South West

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are there so few cruise ships? They always could not sail directly from one US port to another as they are nearly all foreign registered. This is why they had to stop at a Canadian port like Vancouver Victoria or occasionally Nanaimo. As Canada banned all cruise ship visits, the above regulation was 'temporarily' suspended, allowing the cruise ships to sail between two US ports. Places like here in Victoria are really worried that this suspension will be permanent, The cruise ships are great money generators!

Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect the cruise ships are leery of all sorts of mandate and possible quarantine issues (i.e. State and Local) as well as concerned with the degree of increased cleaning, spacing, etc. Back in July, the 1st cruise came into JNU with, IIRC, 680 passengers vs. 2200 pax capacity.

There's also some non-Covid stuff like the (recently defeated, IIRC) ordinance in Juneau that would have impacted the number of ships allowed in at any one time.

...and they may be having staffing issues like many similar hospitality sectors: Denali Princess Lodge is closed this year (although, with the tie-in to Princess, that closure is a chicken or egg debate), K2 is offering reduced # of tours, Simon & Seaforts is running at circa 60% capacity, etc.

Orion

Pacific South West

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I think you may be correct. Next year I think our cruise related industry may be SOOL , as they probably will repeal that Jones Act . It would appear to be very outdated anyway.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Alaska Sept 2022
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.