|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need advise from the Ram Owners

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Didn’t get the “unlucky” part of what I said.

And built on a Friday

Not defending Ram, or any other mfg, heck, just learned that about 25% of our fleet of 6 speed auto Chevy trucks, circa 2016-2018 have had transmissions blown.
Your issue with the switch panel sounds extremely frustrating, also haven't heard you've looked into what I suggested.
Turbo actuators are a common issue. And the '13s are a pseudo 1st year model, which likely doesn't help.

You take the same risk with any vehicle IMO.
I will be looking into it for sure. The tech has ruled out the new switch bank they tell me. Apparently when he puts his hand up into the dash and wiggles the wires power gets restored to the switch bank. This is why they determine its in the harness and some other ground testing. You can't get to it unless you pull dash I am told. I am leaving for Southern Cal in about 6 weeks. I don't want to open up issues unless I find a good shop first. When I get the truck back I will take a good look at what you were suggesting. Thanks for your help because it is much appreciated.

If you get to SoCal without it resolved call Alex in service at Crystal Chrysler in Cathedral City and get it in. Mike their Diesel Mechanic will work on it as he works on every Diesel no matter the condition. I have had great results with them.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ib516 wrote:

I had a 2014 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10s. Had 2 Cummins trucks before the 2014 Hemi. I pulled a 12k 5er that was 37' long and had 3 slides. Never lacked for power with the Hemi. Got 7-9 mpg pulling and mid to high teens running empty hwy, depended a lot on wind.

With the 8 speed, the 6.4L Hemi would be that much better than my 6 speed auto was.

The diesel will pull better in every situation and get slightly better mpg while doing it.

I was very happy with the Hemi, and for towing 11k intermittently, it would be my choice.

I noticed starting early last year that a lot of the Ram HD trucks are powered by Hemi's and I continue to see that trend of more and more Hemi powered HD's and less Cummins. Having said that I don't think Chrysler has fixed the lifter problems on the Hemi's so I sure wouldn't purchase one if I were to keep it over 100k miles.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

ib516 wrote:

I had a 2014 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10s. Had 2 Cummins trucks before the 2014 Hemi. I pulled a 12k 5er that was 37' long and had 3 slides. Never lacked for power with the Hemi. Got 7-9 mpg pulling and mid to high teens running empty hwy, depended a lot on wind.

With the 8 speed, the 6.4L Hemi would be that much better than my 6 speed auto was.

The diesel will pull better in every situation and get slightly better mpg while doing it.

I was very happy with the Hemi, and for towing 11k intermittently, it would be my choice.

I noticed starting early last year that a lot of the Ram HD trucks are powered by Hemi's and I continue to see that trend of more and more Hemi powered HD's and less Cummins. Having said that I don't think Chrysler has fixed the lifter problems on the Hemi's so I sure wouldn't purchase one if I were to keep it over 100k miles.

Last time I checked Rams had the highest percentage of Diesel engines vs gas of any of the HD models. Makes sense I guess. In a perfect world I'd have a Cummins backed by an Allison in a Super Duty.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:
Last time I checked Rams had the highest percentage of Diesel engines vs gas of any of the HD models. Makes sense I guess. In a perfect world I'd have a Cummins backed by an Allison in a Super Duty.

I know your trying to use all 3, but the SuperDuty has a great dependable transmission.

If Ford had the Cummins engine, even Cummins 12V would buy a Ford!! All, American made, and he'd be rid of those silly antler mirrors. [emoticon]

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 11:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

ib516 wrote:

What universe are living in? 1500’s gassers, 2500/3500 CUMMINS is the real world.

Honestly you have Ford and RAM mixed up with your theory.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

ib516 wrote:

Ford makes good trucks but “Allison in name only” over AISIN???

Remember the CUMMINS doesn’t need 10 speeds.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 11:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

IdaD wrote:

I know your trying to use all 3, but the SuperDuty has a great dependable transmission.

If Ford had the Cummins engine, even Cummins 12V would buy a Ford!! All, American made, and he'd be rid of those silly antler mirrors. [emoticon]

Jerry

Could be!!! But as far as looks go RAM is best IMHO. Actually I like the ANTLERS.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need advise from the Ram Owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.