|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Kanas City, Ks to Yellowstone National Park

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can forget Dubois and Red Lodge… to far away. My personal best to Moran Junction in the Tetons from N GA is 48 hours but I left at 6PM and stopped north of Nashville (Clarksville Cracker Barrel) and again in N Platte, NE. Last month we spent a week east of Moran and day tripped to Yellowstone (no delays at the south entrance). This summer was not as busy as last summer. If you are into dry camping PM me.

I would suggest Interstates 75, 24, 57, 64,70, 435 bypass around KC and 29 cutting the corner on 2 to Lincoln (don’t go all the way to Omaha to get on I-80) getting off 80 in Rawlins, WY and 287 to the Tetons. Other than 24 in KY (only place it became stop and go) the roads are pretty good.

If just one person I would suggest flying into SLC, Billings, or Denver and renting a Class C.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is alot to see along the way if you get off the interstates and try some of the US highways and primary state routes.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

There is alot to see along the way if you get off the interstates and try some of the US highways and primary state routes.

Did you miss the # of days he has?
I made the mistake of getting off the Interstates last month. Met a over width load on a narrow 2 lane with a 6” drop off… no shoulder. Surprised I still have a a driver’s mirror as the widest part was at my mirror height. Scrubbed the sidewall of R front tire on a narrow bridge across the Ohio when a 18 wheeler was taking more than his half of the road… have never scrubbed a tire that bad before. Thought the windshield was coming out when meeting trucks with a closing speed of 120 mph on those lovely, narrow, scenic, rough, rural roads. Not a slow learner and used the Interstates to get home…I-70 is in good shape Denver to St Lou…never got below 55 although most of scenic Kansas was done at night, the 2nd best way to see it. #1 is from 30,000’.

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Quote:

The Total drive is 4,000 miles plus the driveing done exploreing The Tetons and Yellowstone, so you will be comfortable driving 500 miles for the eight days out and Back?

What? I already pointed out it is 1100 miles from KC to West Yellowstone. And I don't see driving 1800 miles inside the park in 5 days (over 350 miles a day in the park!) once they get there. For Cody to KC is probably under a 1000 miles. Three 350 mile days will put them in Cody. Leaving 6-7 days to explore.

Look at the MAP - and where the OP will start - It will be clearer for You - Sometimes it takes a little effort to really understand where this adventure starts, Just going through Kansas City.

Thinking my guess is a little closer to what will actually happen - But that's just a guess.

JMHO,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

philandjd

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just returned home from a camping trip to Yellowstone. If you have the chance to make it happen do it. I live in the UP of Michigan so I can’t give you much help on your route getting to and from the park. I’ve never been in or out of the south entrance but the others you can’t go wrong. The least exciting I would say is the west entrance, both of the north and the east entrances have good Mountain View’s and/or drives. The drive from Cody to the east entrance is beautiful. I would recommend staying in the park if possible. If not West Yellowstone would be my next choice, otherwise as it has been pointed out you are going to spend a good portion of the day just driving to get to where you want to go. It can easily take up to an hour to travel just 30 miles in the park.

Do your research before you go, find out what you want to see and do. Download the Yellowstone NPS app to your phone before hand and set it to work offline as phone and internet service in the park is limited or none. National Geographic has a good Yellowstone map I would get before hand too, I’m sure you can get it on Amazon. If your interested in day hikes they also have more detailed maps of the different areas of the park that coordinate with a book on the hiking trails (can’t remember the name of it). Definitely pack a good pair of binoculars or get a pair (if you only buy one thing for this trip this should be it), a decent camera with a good zoom is also nice to have. We didn’t eat at any of the restaurants as covid rules made it to much of a hassle so can’t comment on those. Carry a mask as they are required in fall federal buildings, had to walk back to the truck a few times to get one.

Use the pullouts and let people pass, take your time and don’t rush. 4-5 days in the park gives you the ability to see and do lots, just be realistic and enjoy. You could spend an entire summer in Yellowstone and not get to do all that you want to. If you have anymore specific questions I’ll be happy to try and help answer them.

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext Cab 6.0
2000 Coachmen Catalina 300TBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Kanas City, Ks to Yellowstone National Park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.