|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Torklift tie down maintenance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/21 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can use a wire brush. I would save some work and use a circular brush in an electric drill. Don't worry about removing metal. You would need to grind for days and use up many brushes before you would even start to weaken the brackets.

Eventually stone chips take a toll and I have had to repaint mine a couple of times. You do not need to remove every trace of rust, but the paint job will last much longer if you do a thorough job of surface prep.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How are stainless steel Fastguns rusting?

bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

How are stainless steel Fastguns rusting?

I'm the OP. It is the (steel) tie downs that are rusting, not the fastguns.

Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m the OP. Lots of great advice here, thanks! I am glad I asked because some products have been pointed out that I was not aware of. Also that my question about over sanding weakening the part was answered (not to worry about it).

Someone recommended “Rustoleum Rust Converter”. From google searches the Rustoleum product seems to be called “Rust Reformer” not “Rust Converter”.

There is also a product VHT Rust Convertor which has good reviews on Amazon. Maybe that is what the responses talking about rust converter meant?

I also found POR-15. But from this website:

por15.com/products/rust-preventive-coating

Scroll down a little and it is a 4 step process of degreaser, metal prep, then the POR-15, then paint. That is a lot of work. But maybe just slop on the POR-15 is good enough for tie downs?

Multiple good options here. It may come down to which I find on the shelf at Home Depot. I am leaning toward the Rustoleum Rust Reformer or VHT Rust Convertor because it is simple spray on. Then the instructions say to paint over it but that can again be just simple spray paint.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even if you use Rustoleum or a similar product designed for rusty surfaces, I would still do the best surface prep that is feasible. You will get longer paint life if you start with bare metal or mostly bare metal. Certainly get rid of any heavy, flaky rust.

bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Even if you use Rustoleum or a similar product designed for rusty surfaces, I would still do the best surface prep that is feasible. You will get longer paint life if you start with bare metal or mostly bare metal. Certainly get rid of any heavy, flaky rust.

Makes sense. Thanks, I will do this. Also just to rough up the old paint before painting over it.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you want to use a mechanical wheel, get a brass one, it will take rust and pain off but is softer than the steel so it will wear instead of the steel.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey nice to see someone else from the Chicago area has a Truck Camper. They are not common around here

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rust converters (reformers) have been around for many years. They work by converting ferric oxide (red rust) to ferrous oxide (magnetite). I use them whenever there is any rust on steel before painting. You can even just convert the rust and leave it unpainted if appearance is no concern. They turn the rust black. There are a number of different brands.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Torklift tie down maintenance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.