|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> giving it up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
EgorKC

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One year we lost a TT to a blowout. Replacement got delayed before a scheduled trip that could not be moved. We did the Campground cabins. Took a Weber Q and It was nearly the same experience. Discovered I could fry bacon and eggs outside in a skillet set on the Q. It made loading up to leave a lost faster. One place I highly recommend for cabins is the Rafter J in the Black Hills.
Greg

You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ">
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat">
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/21 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The time comes for all of us sooner or later to make this change. At least you can still get out and use the cabins. You and I have been on this forum a long time so don't leave you have a lot of helpful information to pass on.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Crowe wrote:

Sometimes we just have to face reality. It stinks, but it is what it is. Please stay on the forum-you have some great input.

X2.

x3....and as a colleague of mine always reminds me, don't let the things you can't do stop you from doing the things you can do. (Even if that "can't do" list gets longer with the 6's and 7's at the front of our age.)

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Class A DP 1

Wash. DC

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's not necessarily bad news... hats off to you. Enjoy whatever you can, wherever you can, however you can. The cabins are cool too!

There's a major movement now for cargo van conversions. Maybe look into them later if you like. Getting older, its likely real good to have your own bed, toilet, shower right with you. Maybe that's a possibility to help you continue traveling.

Prevost XL40 Country Coach Conversion

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last summer I got clipped by an arse of a Semi Driver. Just enough damage the Adjuster said the dreaded word "TOTALED" I was... upset.. for about 2 hours.

Then I got to thinking. Rig is getting on in years. about to need a whole bunch of repairs (Routine maintence type) suspension, shocks, brakes, and things like that.

Driver is also getting on in years and a cardiac patient

Towed car runs great but again it's about ready to fall apart

Settlement check got me a real nice JEEP (2014 Cherokee Latitude) not exactly the jeep I have wanted for over 50 years... but close enough to make me very happy, perhaps even nicer. (And money left over)

And now that I'm living in an apartment I seem to be improving health wise. I think it's the distance from where I'm sitting when I type to where I'm sitting when I drive Several times what it was in the RV. plus more stairs. And of course i'm now full time about an hour from Dr. Krishen, he's my Electrician (Cardiologist. one of two the other is his partner) not 3-4 days away in the winter.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Beaker

Brevard, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/21 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

terryallan wrote:

FYI Now is the time to sell. I put our's on the main highway with a sign, and it sold in less that 24 hours. At one time there was 3 people looking at it. I thought they were all together, but no. They just all showed up at the same time.

Good to see it worked for someone. Selling my fifth wheel has been the hardest sell I've had. Mostly scammers and no shows, people offering me 50% less over the phone without looking. Maybe I need to price it higher!

2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terry, At 84 years old I feel your pain. A couple of years ago, maybe three, I did the same thing for the same reasons. The only difference being we still have our trailer and use it for our "summer place" where it sits hooked up in our sons family campground in the woods in the northern part of Michigan.

We have full hookups and enjoy the whole family up there frequently. When we are done with the trailer, it will belong to my son and he can do with it as he wishes. It still looks almost new and has never leaked. We are putting a new roof on it at the end of this month as a preventative measure.

This is a picture of it right after we replaced the original awning material last year. You can see the old one on the ground in front of the trailer.

Best of luck to you in this new chapter of your life.[emoticon]
[image]

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

Terry, At 84 years old I feel your pain. A couple of years ago, maybe three, I did the same thing for the same reasons. The only difference being we still have our trailer and use it for our "summer place" where it sits hooked up in our sons family campground in the woods in the northern part of Michigan.

We have full hookups and enjoy the whole family up there frequently. When we are done with the trailer, it will belong to my son and he can do with it as he wishes. It still looks almost new and has never leaked. We are putting a new roof on it at the end of this month as a preventative measure.

This is a picture of it right after we replaced the original awning material last year. You can see the old one on the ground in front of the trailer.

Best of luck to you in this new chapter of your life.[emoticon]
[image]

We had thought about setting it up in the mountains at our fav CG. But the cost is too high, for no more than we could get to go. It's like 2600 for 6 months.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beaker wrote:

terryallan wrote:

FYI Now is the time to sell. I put our's on the main highway with a sign, and it sold in less that 24 hours. At one time there was 3 people looking at it. I thought they were all together, but no. They just all showed up at the same time.

Good to see it worked for someone. Selling my fifth wheel has been the hardest sell I've had. Mostly scammers and no shows, people offering me 50% less over the phone without looking. Maybe I need to price it higher!

I just set it up on a friend's lot on the main road thru town, 321. When I went to meet one guy there, 2 others stopped while i was showing it to him, and then when I was hooking it up to bring it home to clean it out, for the buyer to pick up. a guy stopped and wanted to look at it.

So put it where lots of people can see it, and it won't sit long.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

The time comes for all of us sooner or later to make this change. At least you can still get out and use the cabins. You and I have been on this forum a long time so don't leave you have a lot of helpful information to pass on.

Yep, We have learned a lot since we started. I guess we have forgotten more than most newer campers know. Including you in that.

Now folks call and want me to help them setup their hitches, and want to know how this, or that works. And how to care for their camper in general. And i don't mind helping them. it's fun really, because as you know the secret to worry free towing is having the hitch set up correctly, and mine was. I had no sway at any speed even with out sway control. and that is how I set up every one's hitch that asks me.

but tecnology may pass me by since I'm not involved any more. I did set up mu first hitch with sway control intergrated. Surprised to see it is done the same way. any way. He is dead level, truck, and trailer. Took several tries to get it right, as it usually does.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> giving it up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.