|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> VIDEO: Installing new 4400 pound 6+1 rear leaf springs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mountainkowboy

Socal/NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While looking for replacement springs for Red, I found that the "factory" springs were the lightest available, being 4+1's. I was going to do the 5+1's since the originals handled the 4,500lb S&S with just upper stableloads. If we were keeping the TC this year I was going to "upgrade" to new stouter springs. Still may keep Red, but unsure.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 12:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

While looking for replacement springs for Red, I found that the "factory" springs were the lightest available, being 4+1's. I was going to do the 5+1's since the originals handled the 4,500lb S&S with just upper stableloads. If we were keeping the TC this year I was going to "upgrade" to new stouter springs. Still may keep Red, but unsure.

I went with the 4400 pound 6+1 because I wanted to keep it simple. Just the main springs and nothing else needed though I did leave my Firestone air bags in place as a center span load support. I use my truck for work too and there's a good ton of excavation dirt in the bed waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. You'll get a softer ride going your way. I presume RED is holding up well after the extensive rebuild... I will need to rebuild my right rear corner due to wet decay. Take care...

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

Im wondering why you decided to keep the air bags? nice video but I found it very hard to watch with two soundtracks. some times it better to get rid of the original sound if your going to do an after the fact nararation.

Steve

I kept the air bags as a center span support for the frame. The air bags over the axle make a very solid extra support with the shackle mounts being a couple feet ahead or behind the axle which is close to the center of gravity of a 3000 pound TC plus all our stuff. Cheap insurance especially since we go on a lot of rough riding mountain forest roads.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 12:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Been planning to do this with either Portland Spring or ordering the ready made 4000lb rated packs from Stengle Brothers for the Dodge to reduce its dependency on the Air bags for load leveling.

It already drives and rides like there's no springs at all in the rear, so, bigger stiffer packs isn't going to make it any worse than it already is [emoticon].

You did a dually conversion right Matt? I decided to leave the air bags in as a center of span support for the frame. We drive a lot of rough mountain roads and I consider it to be cheap insurance for the frame.

greenno

Clairemont Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smart man to install HD new springs. One of the first things I did when I got my 2019 F350 SRW truck. I took mine to a specialty off road shop ( North County Spring ) to have them swapped out. Cost a little under 2k for the install. Loaded up the camper and dropped it off in the morning and picked it up at the end of the day. Progressive 7 leaf pack is what I got. Truck sits level with camper on and I also have airlift bags that I put about 45lbs in when going off road to smooth out the bumps a bit. The airbags don't actually lift anything they just firm it up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> VIDEO: Installing new 4400 pound 6+1 rear leaf springs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.