RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Towing a 42 footer… What do you think?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing a 42 footer… What do you think?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi folks, Found the perfect 5th wheel and it’s 42 feet. Started out looking for a 38 but it’s the 42 footer that best handles our needs. Not concerned about state parks etc. We will use an occasional parking lot on travel days but mostly RV park pull thru. When all is said and done does the extra 4 feet make that big of difference towing and in general?

We go between Georgia and Montana most summers but pretty much stay in one place. So not a lot of traveling around with the Coach once we arrive at our destination.

Thanks guys

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Hi folks, Found the perfect 5th wheel and it’s 42 feet. Started out looking for a 38 but it’s the 42 footer that best handles our needs. Not concerned about state parks etc. We will use an occasional parking lot on travel days but mostly RV park pull thru. When all is said and done does the extra 4 feet make that big of difference towing and in general?

We go between Georgia and Montana most summers but pretty much stay in one place. So not a lot of traveling around with the Coach once we arrive at our destination.

Thanks guys

Too avoid surprises in your RV trip reservations, I would call ahead and ask how many 42'sites they have available .

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi MarkTwain, We currently have a 40’ motorhome and know that drill very well.

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 40 ft 5th w and got tired of being told NO SITE FOR A 40 ft. Sold it and bought a 34 ft

samsontdog">">

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Burlington Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had an 40ft 5er for 5 years and never had a problem finding sites in private or Provincial Parks.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi samsontdog, I hear what you’re saying but for us 34’ does not give us the space we need. I can get our 40’ motorhome most anyplace I want to go and the same should be true for a 42’ fifth wheel. My consern is more about Drive ability?

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been traveling for the past 6 years with a 43 foot unit with a Long Bed Crew Cab Dually and have always found a spot to park it. Some State Parks that we frequent we have to fib a little and say we're only 40', but know for a fact that the site we picked would fit a 100 footer.
We went from a 24' TT, to a 35' 5er, then a 40' 5er, and current 43' fiver. Just have to swing a little farther on corners each time length increased.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Michelle, that’s great information and just what I was looking for. I have a 40’ motorhome and have driven many 45 footers. There is very little difference between the two. And what you’re telling me is that’s true of the 5th wheel as well? Great information, thanks.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter what anyone says physics rules. Size matters.

Private CGs will find a way to cram you in somewhere. SPs, CPs, COEs etc, not so much.

Accept that you will have to do more planning ahead. Rolling into a CG without reservations & getting a site decrease as size increases.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had a trouble with size getting a place to park. At one time I had a 45ft DP and a 32ft enclosed behind it, 77ft total, and I always parked in commercial campgrounds and don't ever remember being turned away. I have downsized now to a 36ft DP and a 20ft Featherlite. Still 56ft. It suits you go with it as you only go through life once, enjoy all of it you can.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing a 42 footer… What do you think?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.